Trans fault???

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Trans fault???

2005 STX 4x4, lost all forward power. I got the TRANS FAULT message with the blinking O/D OFF light. Checked the fluid, a little high so I ciphoned some off. Went to the local autozone to have them scan it, no codes, my truck is fine, NOT. I don't want to bring it to the dealer, fearing they'll tell me I need a new tranny without checking for other causes first. What can I do or check next?

Old 11-18-2011, 06:12 PM
I'm not going to be a lot of help, but to say the autozone readers don't normally read trans codes.

Normally if you lose all forward gears it is time for a rebuild. You can have the elec parts checked out and replace, but that pan is coming off for anything you try.

How did you get to autozone without forward power?

Old 11-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Check the wiring harnesses, i had something similar happen to mine, only i could not get 4L to engage, the wiring harness had gotten some slack in it, so just pulling it up, adding some tape and wire ties to eliminate the slack not a problem since. my computer was not even readin my shifter moving into N, so give that a try, don't cost anything lol unplug it and plug it back in. ON mine it was the furthest to the pasenger side of the truck

Old 11-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Limping

Originally Posted by sugar-rush
I'm not going to be a lot of help, but to say the autozone readers don't normally read trans codes.

Normally if you lose all forward gears it is time for a rebuild. You can have the elec parts checked out and replace, but that pan is coming off for anything you try.

How did you get to autozone without forward power?

When I start the truck it runs fine for a minute, then the engine starts revving up and I can only go about 5 mph, after a few minutes the TRANS FAULT comes on and the O/D light starts blinking. Checked all the fuses......

I read a lot of posts that talked about "P" codes from the scanner, autozone said their scanner would pick up P codes?.........

Old 11-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
There scanner will only read codes that turn on the check engine light. Both engine and transmission set P codes. They cannot read Ford transmission codes. Most of them don't even know enough to know that they can't do it.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:41 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
You need a higher end scanner to read Ford transmission "P" codes. Parts stores don't have them, you are going to have to take it to a dealer or shop to get them read unless you want to buy a $200+ scanner.

I'm thinking the tranny is going to have to come apart anyway.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:36 PM
Still feeling sick.....

Doing what I could, today I changed the transfer case fluid, transmission fluid and filter. The problem persists.....
No chunks or abnormally large shavings in the pan. Fluid was worn but not burnt. The transfer case fluid was NASTY. Curious thing: they say 5-6 qts of tranny fluid after filter change, I drained out only about 4.5 and the level was fine before hand. The transfer case says to refill with 2 qts, but I drained about 4 qts out!!!!
I did find out that it was the first time the tranny fluid was changed by the notorious yellow plug in the pan. I bought the truck 6 months ago and for a 2005 it has 118k on it.
What to try next, hmmmmm...........
Any suggestions?
Oh and now the truck runs weak. When I shift into R or D, the engine almost stalls and the odometer display dims. Vacuum line maybe?

Last edited by brettbel; 11-19-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by brettbel
Doing what I could, today I changed the transfer case fluid, transmission fluid and filter. The problem persists.....
No chunks or abnormally large shavings in the pan. Fluid was worn but not burnt. The transfer case fluid was NASTY. Curious thing: they say 5-6 qts of tranny fluid after filter change, I drained out only about 4.5 and the level was fine before hand. The transfer case says to refill with 2 qts, but I drained about 4 qts out!!!!
I did find out that it was the first time the tranny fluid was changed by the notorious yellow plug in the pan. I bought the truck 6 months ago and for a 2005 it has 118k on it.
What to try next, hmmmmm...........
Any suggestions?
Oh and now the truck runs weak. When I shift into R or D, the engine almost stalls and the odometer display dims. Vacuum line maybe?
You should stop beating yourself up and just take it to a dealer you trust or a trans shop.It could be something minor,but you won't know unless you take it in.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
You should stop beating yourself up and just take it to a dealer you trust or a trans shop.It could be something minor,but you won't know unless you take it in.
x2 my dealer will read codes for free or at least they have a few times for me in the past.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:34 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
The transfer case says to refill with 2 qts, but I drained about 4 qts out!!!!
The seal between the transfer case and the transmission is leaking and needs to be replaced.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:00 AM
Seal?

Does anyone know what ford calls that seal? I was looking at fordparts.com but all I could see was the complete seal/gasket set. I don't want the whole set, just the seal between the transmission and transfer. Also can anyone tell me how hard it is to change out and maybe any tips you might have?
Thanx!

Old 11-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by glc
The seal between the transfer case and the transmission is leaking and needs to be replaced.
Agreed that's why his xfr case is to full, but even if that seal is gone once the case filled he'd get his pressure back and it should drive and act normal. This seems worse than that.

Having him pull xfr case to fix without trans codes being read is overkill. If he ends up needing a rebuild that seal would be replaced anyway.

It's your dime, but a trip to read trans codes seems like where i would start.

If you just can't stand the s/dealership maybe a lend a tool program would lend you a high end scanner for a deposit fee. Make sure you research the scanner to ensure it will read "Ford Trans Fault Codes". These don't normally set CEL's

Old 11-28-2011, 06:16 PM
P0731 and P0732

Shop called today and they got the P0731 and P0732 codes in their scanner. They said they checked the solenoids and all are functioning properly, so it's nothing electrical. It'll be about the same to try and rebuild the trans or replace it. I'm thinking a new transmission. The shop normally deals with Jasper, does anyone have anything bad on Jasper transmissions?

Old 12-12-2011, 12:06 AM
If you don't mind me asking. I pulled the same two codes off my truck by using my programmer.. How much did they quote you for the rebuild? I know the P0731 has something to do with Gear 1 ratio not correct and the P0732 is Gear 2 ratio not correct. Im currently having the same problem with mine. Thanks in advanced.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Outcome

Originally Posted by grantcar16
If you don't mind me asking. I pulled the same two codes off my truck by using my programmer.. How much did they quote you for the rebuild? I know the P0731 has something to do with Gear 1 ratio not correct and the P0732 is Gear 2 ratio not correct. Im currently having the same problem with mine. Thanks in advanced.
It was 1st and 2nd gear ration malfunction. Since I read so many horror stories about rebuilds and the lack of tranny shops in the area. I took it to my local garage and they installed a tranny from Jasper Engines and Transmissions for a total of $2800, comes with a 3yr/100k mile warranty. I only drive about 3k a year so this should be good. So far, so good......

Quick Reply: Trans fault???