tranny flush through cooler line

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 05:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tranny flush through cooler line

plan on doing xperties method ( daughter gonna be my starter/killer ) minus installing the megafine filter, but have a question or 2 so I don't jack it up I have a 07 screw 5.4 and have a tranny cooler, but my tranny cooler lines are coming outta the bottom of it (??). Mine looks like a different configuration then the video. Do I still use the passenger side ( cold line ) coming outta the bottom of the tranny cooler ,attach clear tubing to the line and plug the tranny cooler hole with my finger while it's pumping ? Any tricks to getting line off ( pb blaster , wrench ) ? Plan on using castrol mercon V ( 16 quarts) and pumping/filling 3 qrts at a time til new fluid is seen. Tips\advice

forgot to mention i'll be dropping the pan after the first 3 qts come out and doing the filter

Old 03-02-2012, 03:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could you post a link to the video and/or thread on this please.

I have 4 vehicles I'm about to attempt this on after doing more research.

My 08 F150, an 01 Ranger, an 02 Explorer and an 03 Gran Marquis

Thanks

Old 03-06-2012, 05:08 PM
I am not the one that you would have seen the video on. However, I can tell you how to determine the tranny outbound line (i.e. line with fluid leaving trans headed to cooler). With truck stone cold have assistant start the engine feel the lines, the one to heat / warm up 1st is the out bound. As you had read disconnect the line at the cooler and plug the inpiut to the cooler. Now depending on what you read, I drop a quart of fuild in and start engine when the fluid starts to spudder out of the line shut it off. Refill and check fluid level, if you are reading close to full leave it and take for a drive for 20 minutes. Stop and check fluid level. IF IT IS IN THE CHECKERED AREA LEAVE IT ALONE. I tend to check every couple of days after servicing to see if the fluid level remains the same. If you over fill, disconnect the cooling line a drain out a little.
FYI; I have been told on more than on occasion DO NOT USE ANY MERCRON V CAPATIBLE Fluid. Use only Motorcraft Mercon V, these are electronic tannys and are very sensative to the fluid used.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by TomB1269
I am not the one that you would have seen the video on. However, I can tell you how to determine the tranny outbound line (i.e. line with fluid leaving trans headed to cooler). With truck stone cold have assistant start the engine feel the lines, the one to heat / warm up 1st is the out bound. As you had read disconnect the line at the cooler and plug the inpiut to the cooler. Now depending on what you read, I drop a quart of fuild in and start engine when the fluid starts to spudder out of the line shut it off. Refill and check fluid level, if you are reading close to full leave it and take for a drive for 20 minutes. Stop and check fluid level. IF IT IS IN THE CHECKERED AREA LEAVE IT ALONE. I tend to check every couple of days after servicing to see if the fluid level remains the same. If you over fill, disconnect the cooling line a drain out a little.
FYI; I have been told on more than on occasion DO NOT USE ANY MERCRON V CAPATIBLE Fluid. Use only Motorcraft Mercon V, these are electronic tannys and are very sensative to the fluid used.
Thanks for the reply but your method sounds like your only draining whats in the pan and then filling it back up.

Here is a link to the thread that was mentioned above about how to get a full fluid change and change the filter.

http://www.f150forum.com/f4/2005-f15...r-video-93131/

Quick Reply: tranny flush through cooler line