Pictures of destroyed transmission in 06 FX4

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pictures of destroyed transmission in 06 FX4

Here's a couple pictures of my destroyed sun and planetary gears. 2006 FX4 with 62,000 miles. Only towing I do with this truck is a 6 x 10 enclosed trailer with a couple bikes and gear about every other weekend in the non winter months. This truck is not abused. I've never even spun the tires on dry pavement. Anyway, ***** happens. Thought some of you might like to see the pictures. BTW, the tranny gave NO warning it was getting ready to shell. Just all the sudden.

You can't see the planetary gears too well but each one has teeth missing.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Wow, that really got ate up. Thats pretty low mileage for a tranny to go out.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow......I've seen trannys go out oh these trucks starting at 36k usually its from trying to get unstuck and hammering reverse to get out....then it will go about a thousand miles and reversing or third will go......but to see this destruction from a nonabused one is like holy cow....

Old 08-09-2011, 08:19 AM

This trucks never been stuck. I think it's only seen 4wd a couple times in the snow.

I would like to know if Darrin has ever seen any F150s do something like this. If he doesn't reply I may call him and have him look at the pictures.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:55 AM
That first pic it looks like the damage was caused by a shock load to the gears. Did you stomp hard on the gas at all to pass some one with the trailer behind the truck?

Old 08-09-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by dsq3973
That first pic it looks like the damage was caused by a shock load to the gears. Did you stomp hard on the gas at all to pass some one with the trailer behind the truck?
I never stomp hard on the gas in vehicles anymore. 44 yrs old. Those days are long behind me.

Jokingly, I even asked my 14 yr old son if he stole my truck when I wasn't home and went joy riding or something. That's not something he would do.

That's what it looks like to me, too. Someone doing neutral drops or whatever they're called.

When I park my trailer at the house I have to back it up about 50 yrds or so. But that is at a crawl. I asked my buddy if that could have caused wear on the gears. His response was "God I hope not. If you can't back a 1,500 lb trailer 50 yrds without tearing up gears you better find a different truck."

Old 08-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by mxracer49
I never stomp hard on the gas in vehicles anymore. 44 yrs old. Those days are long behind me.

Jokingly, I even asked my 14 yr old son if he stole my truck when I wasn't home and went joy riding or something. That's not something he would do.

That's what it looks like to me, too. Someone doing neutral drops or whatever they're called.

When I park my trailer at the house I have to back it up about 50 yrds or so. But that is at a crawl. I asked my buddy if that could have caused wear on the gears. His response was "God I hope not. If you can't back a 1,500 lb trailer 50 yrds without tearing up gears you better find a different truck."
It doesn't take much to cause damage with a shock load. All it takes is a wheel to spin just a little bit and get a really good bite when it hooks up again you may have not even noticed especially if you were in reverse with a trailer. If I am even on a little bit of an incline backing our fifth wheel up my truck is in 4x4 because there is 19,000lbs gross trying to push the truck the other way. Even the pro's can pop ring gears and transmissions backing under a trailer just a little to hard.

Trending Topics

Old 08-09-2011, 03:00 PM

I was just showing these parts to a couple guys at work and we noticed this bearing has a piece missing. Now I wonder if that is what failed and got up in the gears or that happened after the gears failed.

I circled the piece of missing bearing race.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:19 PM
I was just showing these parts to a couple guys at work and we noticed this bearing has a piece missing. Now I wonder if that is what failed and got up in the gears or that happened after the gears failed.

It's possible and there is a piece missing off the flange right in front of the gear on the front right of the picture.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:08 PM

Bingo. There are no teeth missing or stripped, they are tore apart. The reason I say that is because there are parts of each tooth that are intact. You an see how the chunk of bearing, or whatever originally let go, has a path of destruction. You can see how it curves around on each of the gears. You can see what I mean in this picture...

Old 08-09-2011, 10:12 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
That is what it looks like Gotts

Quick Reply: Pictures of destroyed transmission in 06 FX4