trans fluid question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trans fluid question

i have an 01 4r100 and i checked the dip stick yesterday and the fluid was well over the cold mark when the truck was cold is this a bad thing i added to much trans fluid in my truck. should i drain it out or just leave it be. what harm can it do if i have to much fluid in

Old 08-03-2011, 05:28 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
The cold reading doesn't mean anything. I still can't understand why Ford put it on the dipstick.

Check the level with the transmission warmed up, which means in the summer drive it for at least 10 miles. Leave it idling in park while checking the level.

If the trans is overfilled the rotating parts will whip the fluid into a foam. Foamed fluid can't lubricate, plus it expands so much that it will force fluid out of the vent and the dipstick. Usually that fluid lands on the exhaust pipes. If the truck doesn't burn to the ground the trans will end up underfilled.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:22 AM
ok thanks ill give that a shot if its over filled whats the best way to get the fluid out.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:58 AM
I'd go to one of the auto parts stores and buy the $15 hand siphon pump that comes with the clear plastic siphon lines, and I'd just siphon some fluid out the filler tube. Quicker/easier than dropping the pan.

Best,
Matt

Quick Reply: trans fluid question