trans malfunction light on & O/D off lgt. flashing

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trans malfunction light on & O/D off lgt. flashing

Hey all, unfortunately I don't have time at the moment to do proper search so I'm throwing this out there. Suffered the worst experience ever in my truck today, was at a stop light and when light turned green, proceeded to step on the gas and truck wouldn't go. It finally started moving but barely, was as if it lost 1st and 2nd gear. Stopped at a station and checked the tranny fluid and it was a little low, so I added a little and proceeded to continue on with pretty much the same result. Well, I'm on vacation with the wife (she isn't with me at the moment but down at the beach) and decided to try and limp home to get her vehicle and then go back to down to the beach to continue the vacation (the reason for not doing an extensive search). Well, I've made it home, it was about a 40 mile ride to get here and the truck did not leave me stranded, even though it is now sick, I still love this thing. Anyway, with around 22 miles to go, the transmission malfunction light came on and the O/D off light started flashing and did this all the way home, sooo, I just wanted to pick some brains and see if anyone might have an idea as to what's going on. The truck is a 2005 F150, 5.4l 4x4, automatic trans, 4.10 rear with a 194,500 miles on it, and I am running a custom tune Xcal ll tuner set to 93 octane. Any and all help is MUCH appreciated, and I will try to respond as soon as I can, except that I am walking out the door at the moment to go rejoin the wifey down at the beach as she has been hounding me not to leave her stranded there . I will be trying to keep tabs and respond to this via my phone while I am away for the next few days. Thanks guys

Old 07-12-2011, 04:10 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
You need to go get the codes read. Your reader can't do it, and neither can the ones that Autozone and other parts stores use for their free scans.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by glc
You need to go get the codes read. Your reader can't do it, and neither can the ones that Autozone and other parts stores use for their free scans.
Thanks for the reply glc but, and don't take this the wrong way, that would be stating the obvious. Before I let a stealership look at my truck, I was really hoping for a response from some one who had a similar experience and could give me some insight as to what I might look for.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:23 PM
The 04 and 05 f150s that seem to have alot of transmission problems.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mitch150
Thanks for the reply glc but, and don't take this the wrong way, that would be stating the obvious. Before I let a stealership look at my truck, I was really hoping for a response from some one who had a similar experience and could give me some insight as to what I might look for.
If you want speculations on why the or light is flashing then use the search feature....there's plenty of results.....

Other than going to get the codes read no one will really know what the cause is without them.....you really don't have to take it to a dealer...just find a tranny shop that has the ability to read ford codes.....

Old 07-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
If you want speculations on why the or light is flashing then use the search feature....there's plenty of results.....

Other than going to get the codes read no one will really know what the cause is without them.....you really don't have to take it to a dealer...just find a tranny shop that has the ability to read ford codes.....
Yeah, thanks 88 and again glc. Been searching and reading through some threads and I realize that there are a multitude of reasons why this kind of thing can happen. Will be calling a couple of tranny shops today.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:25 PM
glc
Quite a few "regular" repair shops have scanners that can do it.

I only stated the obvious because if the OD light flashes, it sets codes, and that is where you MUST start. It's just like if the CEL comes on - how do you even get a clue without reading the codes?

Old 07-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation

When mine did what yours did I took it to my local Ford dealer.They had to replace a faulty shift solenoid and wire harness.I'm not saying that is what's wrong with yours,but do go get it checked out!

Old 07-15-2011, 05:17 AM
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
When mine did what yours did I took it to my local Ford dealer.They had to replace a faulty shift solenoid and wire harness.I'm not saying that is what's wrong with yours,but do go get it checked out!
Yeah thanks blue oval, I read your posts in other threads about your results. I would feel "lucky" if mine turned out to be the same. There are so many more severe possibilities with this thing that I'm going to just keep my fingers crossed it won't cost me too much.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:53 PM
My truck just started to do the same at stop lights. It will shift but suddently and it only happens at at complete stop. I have no O/D flashing yet, but it only started doing it yesterday and I had it parked. When it is cold it works fine, after 10 or 15 minutes into the drive. It starts doing the suddent shift thing. If there is some one out there that can give me some advice into the solution before I go fork out $1,500 into it I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Old 07-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Question Update

Just back from vacation and I'm taking it in tomorrow to get the codes the transmission is spitting out read. I was wondering if I should return it to stock or just leave it with the tune it is running on now. I have no idea if their code reader will do anything to my programmer or not, though I'm guessing it wouldn't affect the tuner or even lock up my comp. in any way. This really is the first major thing to happen to this truck, and the only other time any one has hooked onto my OBD II port was for emissions, and that didn't mess with the program. Anyone have any advise on this?

Old 07-18-2011, 12:41 PM
glc
Do not return it to stock - that may clear the codes. The code reader won't do anything.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Do not return it to stock - that may clear the codes. The code reader won't do anything.
Thanks for the response glc. That's what I thought as well, just wanted some confirmation of it. Didn't get the code read today, been suffering from a pinched nerve in my back and just too painful to move around. Gonna try to get this done tomorrow.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:02 PM
Well just got the bad news, clutch points are off (or something to that affect) 2nd gear not shifting properly, wants to stay in 1st longer than normal which is exactly what I am feeling when I take off from a stop, all in all it has to be rebuilt, new bands (performance), clutch plate, TC, seals, the works, cost - $1900, 1 year unlimited mileage warranty. Not sure if this is a good deal or not, but I need to have the truck back on the road.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:29 AM
glc
I'd spend the extra to get a Ford crate reman with a 3 year warranty.

Quick Reply: trans malfunction light on & O/D off lgt. flashing