After a long drive transmission suddenly doesn't change gears properly/no reverse

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After a long drive transmission suddenly doesn't change gears properly/no reverse

Hey,

I've bought my '98 F150 4x4 5.4 about one month ago and it spend 3 weeks since then sitting in the shop.

When I drive about 30miles or more (with stops in between) the transmission suddenly doesn't change in reverse! The gearshifts between 1st and 2nd feel delayed and into third it only shifts when I really let go of the throttle for about 2-3seconds and then suddenly it changes into 3rd. There's no way of getting it into shift in overdrive.

When I let cool it down for about 3 hours I can drive again about 20miles without problems (that was the trip to my dealer).

Transmission fluid and filter are new, fluid levels are ok and nothing smells burned.

I checked the error codes with my ScanGauge 2 but none were found, I'm assuming that's because it only ready the error codes from the engine?

The original windows sticker lists a tow package as an option, I don't know If that helps. I don't know exactly what transmission I got, I could provide a VIN if that helps.

My dealer already replaced a part but I have to call him on monday in order to ask him what they exactly replaced, fact is that it didn't cure the problem and after sitting about 3 weeks at the dealer I'm starting to lose my patience when I'm being told that they don't "find anything".

Any suggestions what might be the root of that evil transmission that's ruining my nerves are welcome.

Greets from Germany!

Old 06-19-2011, 12:25 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Was the OD light flashing? If so, there's a trans fault code that needs to be read out with a capable code scanner.

Look on the door jamb sticker for the TRANS code - a "U" is a 4R70W and a "E" is a E4OD.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Hey, truck is sitting at the dealer so no way I could look for the code in the door. The VIN decoder also doesn't show me what trans it is...

OD (overdrive?) light isn't flashing, when I disable OD manually with my gear selector, it seems to shift down from 3rd into 2nd.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:54 PM
I am thinking along the lines of the MLPS (Neutral Safety Switch). The older ones tended to act up and something may be a problem there. Otherwise it may have a broken shift accumulator spring in the valve body. Those issues typically don't get picked up by the computer.

Also did you put the proper fluid in it? Where was the trans fluid changed at? If it was a quick lube place, they often put the same stuff in everything. I would make sure it has Mercon V in it.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Oil and filter were changed by the dealer who sold me the truck, he drove it several weeks himself and after that it sat a while till I came along and bought it. I don't think he put the cheapest stuff in when he drove several weeks himself. Color of the oil is also fine.

This MLPS, how much is it (approx) and how hard is it to change? Unfortunately I don't have any knowledge of repairing auto transmissions.

Thank you very much for your help!

Old 06-19-2011, 11:17 PM
Was it a Ford dealer of just a used car lot? That would probably tell a lot right there.

As far as the neutral safety switch, it is pretty easy. Just a wire or two and a couple bolts hold it on to the side of the transmission.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:42 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
A bad MLPS will not keep the trans from shifting into reverse. That can only be caused by a mechanical problem inside the transmission. No electronics are used to engage reverse.

Quick Reply: After a long drive transmission suddenly doesn't change gears properly/no reverse