auto may be on the way out, manual swap if it is, what all will i need?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
auto may be on the way out, manual swap if it is, what all will i need?

02 f150 SCab 4x4 4.6 auto...

So the other day started hearing a sort of whiring/buzzing sound and noticed my trans cooler lines were leaking. took it in and they confirmed that the rubber piece was dry rotted so they are replacing it. Took it to a dealership. They said the noise was something wrong in the trans and they wanted to tear it down and rebuild it. The noise and the leak started at the same time.

I think the sound sounded alot like a leak, like it was bleeding pressure or maybe sucking some air. So i said i disagree and think it is being caused by the leak. any opinions on this? they said it sounded like a bearing but i dont see how it went from fine to broke overnight.

It was really cold, i let it warm up as usual, put it in gear to go, and i heard the noise. also it gets better as the trans warms and it goes away when cruising and sometimes its gone under acceleration which made me think even more it was conncected to the leak. there was a small amount of fluid on the ground, most was on the crossmember under the line. very slow leak as I checked the atf level right away and it was fine. color is good and smell is fine.

They are only changing the lines. I will know if i was right when i pick it up. I am hoping I am as I cant afford a rebuild. I feel like they are just trying to steal my money. trans never has any issues, it doesnt slip or anything. Truck has 240k on it btu trans has like 140k as it was rebuilt once before.

but, if it is gonna die, i wanna put in a manual when it does cuz i think i can do it alot cheaper than an auto rebuild, plus i hate autos. What will I need to do this?

So far i know i need:
transmission
pedal assembly
clutch
flywheel
master and slave cylinders and lines
Shifter assembly

what am i missing?

what do yall think this will cost? I was thinking no more than 1500. I would do it myself so the only cost is parts.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:57 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I would look up http://car-part.com and see prices for my self. Where ever you find the transmission ask about the pedals. You will have to address the transmission control issue. The PCM needs to see the automatic or it will set codes. You can get a tune or keep the DTRS plugged in to fool the PCM. The back up lights will not work so you will need to tap into the reverse switch of the manual transmission. I am not sure about the drive shaft lengths but I suspect that they will be close. You should measure to be sure.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by JMC
I would look up http://car-part.com and see prices for my self. Where ever you find the transmission ask about the pedals. You will have to address the transmission control issue. The PCM needs to see the automatic or it will set codes. You can get a tune or keep the DTRS plugged in to fool the PCM. The back up lights will not work so you will need to tap into the reverse switch of the manual transmission. I am not sure about the drive shaft lengths but I suspect that they will be close. You should measure to be sure.
i have a programmer and i can flash it as a manual so the codes are not an issue, forgot to mention that before...

Old 01-28-2011, 09:16 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
You need a M5OD from another 4.6 4x4 truck. It's the only one with the same bellhousing pattern. The 2wd tranny has a different tailshaft.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:40 AM
well, looks like this point is mute... Trans went on friday and as I am at college and have no access to any tools or equipment to do a swap, just having it rebuilt. Got screwed tho, when they opened up the trans they found the failure was the TC, and when it failed it tore up the trans bad. Apparently, it almost killed the valvebody, but they said they can reprogram it rather than me pay for a new one which would put the cost of the rebuild to the point where id just buy a ford reman. as what they quoted was cheaper at that point.

But, as it sits im still under the cost of ford by a decent amount so its being done by AAMCO. At least they are doing it fast, will be done today or tomorrow... Thanks for the input guys, too bad it didnt work out.

Quick Reply: auto may be on the way out, manual swap if it is, what all will i need?