Seized Throwout Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 08:37 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Seized Throwout Bearing

Here is what happens to a Slave Cylinder when the Throwout Bearing seizes.

Two days in the driveway to fix. Monday the 17th was cold and dry 20°F. Tuesday the 18th it warmed up to 35°F but it rained.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is just beautiful. Did it do anything to the transmission or just trashed the slave and then you can't drive.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:49 AM
JMC

I had to remove the clutch pressure plate to get chunks of plastic out from in between the fingers. Put it back together with an old style slave with the blue bearing. The only problem is the slave is flimsy and the friction point is only an inch or so off the floor. Come summer the tranny is off again and an new style slave is going back on along with re-shimming the input shaft.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That kind of sounds like how my transmission is, Would a new style slave work on my truck being that it's not a modular engine? And what do you do to shim the slave?
Oh and any idea what caused the bearing to seize? Or was it just that you are still using an M5 behind a blown 5.4

Old 01-23-2011, 08:11 PM
JMC

Luck of the draw for the bearing. Eventually you are bound to get one that is defective and I was the lucky one. The previous slave was installed a month before the blower and it lasted till last summer before it started to leak. The bearing was still good. Maybe I should have kept that old bearing instead. I think that you can no longer get the old slaves from Ford so I suspect that you would end up with a new model.

Quick Reply: Seized Throwout Bearing