Trans service, this is a joke...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans service, this is a joke...

I have been hunting for the right person to flush my tranny since I'm looking to perform my own thorough 75k service, not what ford recommends because I have been running the large lift and tires for over 55k now. Here is where the joke starts...

I call the Ford dealer first, they flushed it for me at 50 and told me "there is no filter to be changed on this transmission" I payed 170 for that joke. Fool me once but not twice, I call today they now want 230 dollars for a flush and still say "no filter to be changed, no need to drop a pan". I proceed to tell them I already have the filter, they tell me I was ripped off.

I then call the next ford dealer, they want 200, and another 150 to drop the pan and change a filter.

I try a local transmission place, for the most part I have heard is reputable.. He says he has never flushed a tranny and does not beleive in it, for 95 bucks he will drop the pan, change the filter, and refill the 5 quarts. He Tells me "the other fluid still in the system is fine"

The only thing left to try is some of these crummy little transmission shops, or the quick lube places, neither of which I care to go to...

What is y'alls take? Should I just get raped by one ford dealer for the flush, I have no problem doing the filter myself; I just find it easier and more convienent if its done after flushing by them.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I think you should do it yourself. You have a lifted truck, so you can easily slide in under it and drop the pan. Once you change the filter, fill 5 quarts into the dipstick hole. Then disconnect your cooling line, attach a 5' length of transmission hose with a hose clamp, and run the other end of the hose into a 5 gallon bucket. Have an assistant help with turning the truck on and off as you monitor what is pumping into the bucket and refill through the dipstick tube. Once clean fluid starts pumping out, all that you have to do is reconnect the cooling line, check your dipstick, and add enough fluid to fill to the proper level.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Fifty150
I think you should do it yourself. You have a lifted truck, so you can easily slide in under it and drop the pan. Once you change the filter, fill 5 quarts into the dipstick hole. Then disconnect your cooling line, attach a 5' length of transmission hose with a hose clamp, and run the other end of the hose into a 5 gallon bucket. Have an assistant help with turning the truck on and off as you monitor what is pumping into the bucket and refill through the dipstick tube. Once clean fluid starts pumping out, all that you have to do is reconnect the cooling line, check your dipstick, and add enough fluid to fill to the proper level.

Thank You! I had my blinders on since I was set on having someone else do it... :o I will have to give this a try, your talking about the cooling line into the trans cooler up front right? Just want to clarify what I'm thinking and the correct place you mention..

Old 10-28-2010, 10:17 PM
I experienced the same thing. One place was $149.99 + parts ($300.00) yeah right

One place was $1000.00 with parts but they threw in the diffs tranny and transfer case. Pshhh

I went to a corner shop that tons of people recommended. $220.00 with a filter and oil. He drained it except for the torque converter. I dont mind too much.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:55 PM

I wasn't happy with the prices either... or the ford service reps blatant lack of knowledge for the vehicles they service.

I did a little google searching and found several write-ups on the subject. I may give it a go if time permits this weekend.

Here is one of the links, I figured it was similar since I have the 4R75W
http://sites.google.com/site/fordf15...nge-procedures

Old 10-29-2010, 12:08 AM

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I've done the 4R75W before. Yes there is a filter.

Is it a hard transmission to service? No.

It's meant to be serviced. Whoever said to leave the hydro/trans fluid in there is nuts.

Even more nuts are the so-called "sealed" trannys. But even those are serviceable... by carefully drilling and tapping holes.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Heard from several tranny shops that "flushing" a transmission is just a waste of the customer's money. A simple service is all that's needed.

Trending Topics

Old 10-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
My dealer does the service for about $90. This is dropping the pan, changing the filter and refilling with 5 or so quarts. They do a flush for about $130 which entails running a cleaner thrugh it and all fluids being vacced out with a machine. I have had one of each done on my truck in getting to it's current 108,000 miles. Getting close to service time again.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone! I gathered all the supplies and am going to give this a go over the weekend. I'm not sure if it's where I live or what but it seems most places are getting to be a ridiculous rip off anymore...

Old 10-29-2010, 01:16 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
ill do it, ill just walk right under it and drain it out

seriously let me know if you're headed this way and ill help you knock it out. Plus it would be fun to take pics of our two trucks together

Old 10-29-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
ill do it, ill just walk right under it and drain it out

seriously let me know if you're headed this way and ill help you knock it out. Plus it would be fun to take pics of our two trucks together

I wish I was headed to dfw this weekend! I tried desperately to score some world series tickets but no luck.. I will be in that area around thanksgiving.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
ill have to be here on the friday after thanksgiving for work, send me a PM once we get a little closer

Old 10-29-2010, 01:44 PM
I'll be honest, i have never been a transmission flusher either..

I just take the pan off and put a new filter in.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:17 PM

I guess I was under the impression the flush/filter combo was what is best? On previous vehicles I rarely did much past an oil change/filter, hitting grease certs and a new air filter.

I'm a stickler for maintenance on this truck though

Old 10-29-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm changing my tranny fluid this weekend as well. Got Amsoil fluid to go back in and a Wix filter. I'm just doing the pan and filter service. Maybe at 120,000 or so I'll pump it all out and put all new juice in. I'm at 68,500 right now.

Next in line is a plug change. Gotta come up with a broken plug extractor tool.

David

Last edited by x2mosg; 10-29-2010 at 03:59 PM. Reason: added current mileage

Quick Reply: Trans service, this is a joke...