Auxillary Transmission Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auxillary Transmission Cooler

I have searched the threads and need a couple of questions answered:
It looks like the aux cooler needs to be in line after it comes out of the radiator. I also read that if you mount it to the a/c condenser with those zip ties, it heats up the fluid more than it is cooled. If you don't mount it to the condenser, you won't get much help when idling or moving slow, pulling air over the cooler by the engine fan. So, those of you with them mounted, what works best for you? I'd like to mount one close enough to the condenser to let the engine fan help. Should I mount it directly next to it or stand it off with some spacers maybe an inch or so? Thoughts?

Old 10-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ducktang
I have searched the threads and need a couple of questions answered:
It looks like the aux cooler needs to be in line after it comes out of the radiator. I also read that if you mount it to the a/c condenser with those zip ties, it heats up the fluid more than it is cooled. If you don't mount it to the condenser, you won't get much help when idling or moving slow, pulling air over the cooler by the engine fan. So, those of you with them mounted, what works best for you? I'd like to mount one close enough to the condenser to let the engine fan help. Should I mount it directly next to it or stand it off with some spacers maybe an inch or so? Thoughts?
Hi.

Better yet - mount a fan (or two) to the unit, with a thermostatic controller.

You'll find everything you need here: http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.aspx

-OR- there is this:

http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...gno=PPI-ATCKIT

Either approach will address the stationary, slow speed (or reverse motion) cooling issues that all passive coolers have.

MGD

Old 10-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the links. At this point, I have several passive coolers being unused and my budget doesn't allow for those active coolers at this point.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ducktang
Thanks for the links. At this point, I have several passive coolers being unused and my budget doesn't allow for those active coolers at this point.
Perhaps sell off a couple and invest in a single appropriately sized Spal fan ( the motorcycle ones) and their temp switch (plus a relay, some wiring and a fuse).

It's not that much $$$.

Just a thought.

Good luck.

MGD

Quick Reply: Auxillary Transmission Cooler