Transmission temp gauge install question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission temp gauge install question...

Hey everyone! Sorry in advance for the likely duplicate or similar thread..... I'm a newbie to towing and thought it would be wise to add a temp gauge for the tranny. Now, on auto meters website, they go in to say that a hoke may need to be drilled into the pan.

While this is totally understandable, for obvious reasons, is it the only way? Does Ford have a point of connection for such a gauge already located on the unit? (I just installed a p2 brake controller, and it was 'plug and play')

Any help or links to a 'how to' in this forum would be great, as well as ANY advice from this who have done it.

Thanx for reading, glad I found this awesome site!

5.4L 4x4 2002 Supercrew?

?

Old 10-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put mine in the transmission output line that runs into the top of the rad on the drivers side. You get a better temp reading there. I added mine closer to the top of the rad to keep it out of the weather and salt in the winter. A quick search will find you several threads with pictures. That is how I decided on my location.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:37 PM
You double posted. Mods don't like that.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks grizzstang, I appreciate your help and advice! What type of gauge setup did you purchase? Would hope to find a pod or mount in the right color to match the truck. All I've found is black so far. (need tan, or whatever ford calls it)

Old 10-22-2010, 04:15 PM
You can buy paint to match your interior color , just go to a auto paint supplier. its sold in spray cans.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Moto_xmayhem21
Thanks grizzstang, I appreciate your help and advice! What type of gauge setup did you purchase? Would hope to find a pod or mount in the right color to match the truck. All I've found is black so far. (need tan, or whatever ford calls it)
I went with a digital trans temp gauge from Autometer with a pillar mount. The gauge had the most range of any I found (from 0 to 300 degrees if I remember correctly). The pillar mount was (and still is) black. My interior is grey so black looked fine to me but if you want it to match paint it like JB mentioned above.

Quick Reply: Transmission temp gauge install question...