Edge Evo reporting hot transmission fluid 08 FX4

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Evo reporting hot transmission fluid 08 FX4

I live in Texas where it is indeed hot but recently my Evo is reporting my transmission fluid is reaching temps over 200 and alerting me. It is a 2008 FX4 with 31,000 miles on her. Fluid level shows to be fine but not sure what the recommended maintenance is on the fluid. Could it be time for a fluid change? I set me program back to STOCK from Level 2 to see if that makes a difference...

Anyone experienced similar?

Old 07-14-2010, 10:15 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TommyRox
I live in Texas where it is indeed hot but recently my Evo is reporting my transmission fluid is reaching temps over 200 and alerting me. It is a 2008 FX4 with 31,000 miles on her. Fluid level shows to be fine but not sure what the recommended maintenance is on the fluid. Could it be time for a fluid change? I set me program back to STOCK from Level 2 to see if that makes a difference...

Anyone experienced similar?

https://www.f150online.com/forums/tr...ml#post4277354

If it's staying over 200 consistently, have it checked. Because it's even hotter than that due to where this sensor is placed.

Change the fluid for peace of mind ...

MGD

Old 07-14-2010, 10:24 AM
MGDfan,

Thanks for the quick reply - I was going to take in and get it checked but always pull the EVO out. Not sure how to tell Ford service how I know what the temps are...

I guess I must add too that my wife drove the kids to Arkansas and she told me that the OD light started flashing and then got a TRANNY message on the cluster. I had her set the EVO back to stock and it has been fine ever since.

Looks like time to change the fluid or take it in...

Old 07-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
MGDfan,

Thanks for the quick reply - I was going to take in and get it checked but always pull the EVO out. Not sure how to tell Ford service how I know what the temps are...

I guess I must add too that my wife drove the kids to Arkansas and she told me that the OD light started flashing and then got a TRANNY message on the cluster. I had her set the EVO back to stock and it has been fine ever since.

Looks like time to change the fluid or take it in...
Roger that Tommy.

Perhaps petition a Mod to move this post tot he Transmissions Forum where it will get more scrutiny.

Stay mum on the temps but do tell the dealer if the O/D was flashing - they should be able to pull any stored codes ( not all of these can be captured with the Edge ).

Good luck.

MGD

Old 07-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
You definitely have something going on, mine is in the same temps and seldom gets over 160.

I am moving the thread.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the tips - I set the program back to stock and it seems to be doing better but have not really ran that many miles today - just a few errands. I am hooking up the boat and doing a test run...seems to be staying around 170-180 so far...stay "tuned"

Old 07-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
The odd thing there is that if anything, it should run warmer on the stock tune. Should be little difference, but with the built in clutch slippage with the stock tune, it should certainly not be cooler.

I assume, with towing, you have the auxillary cooler. I think your problem is related to the OD problem and maybe the torque converter.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:04 AM
I was kind of wondering if it is due to running O/D off all the time, at what speeds, and temperatures. I only drove into work yesterday 95 degrees outside and humid, some stop and go traffic, but a majority of highway 55+mph, transmission fluid temp got to around 180 degree, but definitely not 200 degrees. Hoping 180 is about as hot as it gets, ive kept an eye on the engine core temp too, but have nothing to guage it against for what is normal. As for bringing your truck into a shop, just say you have a programmer, were looking at all the data and noticed it was running hot, you dont have to say you changed anything, but thats just my two cents.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the replies ! Drove to work this morning - about 15 miles hwy and stop and go traffic and it stayed about 171 - temps outside were in high-mid 80's. Still monitoring...see what happens no my way home - suppsoed to be 99 today

Old 08-12-2010, 10:17 AM
I have an 02 SuperCrew FX4 4x4 and I am experiencing a similar problem. My tranny temps are fine in town and the highway, but on the interstate at 75 MPH, they skyrocket and keep climbing. As soon as I return to highway driving at 60 MPH, the temps return to a 160-175 range.
I have no way of knowing if this problem existed prior to the Edge CTS or started with the Edge CTS. I am making the same Interstate run this weekend and I plan to keep the tow tune installed, unless temps start to rise. At that point I will return to stock and see if a difference is noticed.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Thanks for the replies ! Drove to work this morning - about 15 miles hwy and stop and go traffic and it stayed about 171 - temps outside were in high-mid 80's. Still monitoring...see what happens no my way home - suppsoed to be 99 today

Sounds like you're fine.

You may have hotter fluid because of the tune locking up the torque converter. But I'm not an expert with what the tuners do. Call Edge and ask them about their tune and the transmission running hotter.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:09 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
The tranny runs *cooler* with the converter locked.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:03 AM
the same thing happened to me with the od light and the tranny message. but it would only happen when i would hit 40 miles and the engine would just rev. turns out my transmission fluid was completely dry.

Quick Reply: Edge Evo reporting hot transmission fluid 08 FX4