Need tranny advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need tranny advise

Hello, I'm new to this whole forum thing. I've kinda shifted through this site quite a bit trying to find answers but no luck.

First

Ok, my situation, I own a 1997 F150 XLT (Daily Driver, work truck)with a 5.4 and from what I understand to be a 4r100 (Door sticker said "E" under transmission) and 4.10 gears. When the truck has been setting for a day and I begin driving, 1st and 2nd gear seem fine. But 3rd will catch and hold at 2800 Rpm at 55mph (normally 2500 or less, I do not quite recall), then it will fall into over drive at 2200 rpm (normally 1700 -1800 rpm) when traveling at 55mph. It will hold this higher rmp for about 15 minutes before it will go back to running at the normal rpm range.

Also, when the truck is in over drive, but still running at the higher rpms, if I turn the overdrive off, it downshifts into 3rd (high rpm) very very violently. It's been like this for over a year and occurs in cooler weather, but it has become more frequent lately.

So any advise? All is greatly appreciated. Oh, truck has 181000 miles, no mods besides CAI, headers, and true duel exhaust.

Second

What kind of power can this transmission handle. I'm still up in the air between 3 set ups.
1) NA, cams, heads, tune
2) Centrifical supercharger (unsure what level of boost)
3) Turbo set up (still unsure about boost, still researching)
What would be required to handle this power (hoping 425 to 500hp).

Once again thanks.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
181000 miles is alot if thats the original trans, be happy it has lasted that long I sense an overhaul in the near future. The 4R100 has alot of aftermarket available due to it being in the lightning/superduty. Most good trans shops know all of the weak areas to address and improve and can pretty much make a 4R100 bullitproof if done right. Good luck

Old 01-26-2010, 01:30 AM
I was hoping to get 200000 out of it before replacing it. But I've put it through hell and back for the past 6 years, so I'm lucky its still holding together.

Just a side thought, but will the 6 speed in the f250s fit in my pickup. Just curiosity, would love a manual, but not enough time or money to do a swap.

Oh, the truck is a 4x4 if that matters. I'm not much on trannys. I'm familiar with the mod motors (owned 3), but not much on transmissions.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:35 AM
Originally Posted by Little Luke
I was hoping to get 200000 out of it before replacing it. But I've put it through hell and back for the past 6 years, so I'm lucky its still holding together.

Just a side thought, but will the 6 speed in the f250s fit in my pickup. Just curiosity, would love a manual, but not enough time or money to do a swap.

Oh, the truck is a 4x4 if that matters. I'm not much on trannys. I'm familiar with the mod motors (owned 3), but not much on transmissions.
you will never get a 6 speed in that truck. the crossmembers, t-case nothing will line up if it would even fit under the truck. the ZF 6speed is a HUGE transmission.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:08 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
your stuck with the 4speed for the most part. I believe JMC has researched the ZF trans with a specific bellhousing and the required modifications. do a search and you may find some fruits attached to his name.

Look at the lightning scene since your using the 4r100 (I dont know if my favorite guy in my sig is big on building the 4r100's) and you'll see the build potentials of the trans.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:55 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
97's didn't have a 4R100, if you have door code "E" it's a E4OD.

When was the last time you changed the fluid, including draining the torque converter?

Old 01-26-2010, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by glc
97's didn't have a 4R100, if you have door code "E" it's a E4OD.

When was the last time you changed the fluid, including draining the torque converter?
no way, i didnt know the 97's were that goofy yet again
practically the same goat though, ask raoul

Old 01-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Klitch
no way, i didnt know the 97's were that goofy yet again
practically the same goat though, ask raoul
????I'm sorry, do you care to explain. ????
Also I stand corrected, My truck is equipped with a e4od.
I had the fluids changed 2 months ago, no sure about the torque converter.
New update: Drove for 45 minutes this morning, no overdrive untill the last 5 minutes when it shifted on its own, it felt like the damn thing blew up under me. got out and checked it when I got to work, no leaks or obvious damage.

So, if I need a rebuild, should I stick with this tranny or swap over to another. when my shop is finished, I plan on adding a little power to the motor when i can redirect my money. It's not uncommon for me to have a payload of 2000 to 2500 pounds, and as for a towing, if it will fit on my trailer, I'll pull it.

And no, I do not want to sell my truck for a f250 or f350, even though it would be the easier solution. I like my truck.

BTW, thanks for the input.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:58 AM
the goat things a running joke with raoul on this site.

if you rebuild, i advise you to stay with that trans so you dont need to do all the other required modifications required when swapping a trans type. these days its no longer just a crossmember and drive line. theres the whole PCM mess (which sometimes isnt that big of a deal, can be)

properly built transmissions can handle the job your looking to put it to

Old 01-26-2010, 03:57 PM
well, I just got the phone with a tranny shop in the county north of me. they said they would check it out and run a diagnostics for free. I have to wait untill next wed. when I go to my classes though. he said he would look at what was wrong with it and give me a quote to fix it or he would give me a quote on building it up.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll post next week when he gives me the news.

Still confused by the goat comment, but ok.

BTW Klitch, I like your truck, I've been trying to decide if I wanted toleave me truck solid red or do a two tone like yours. it looks good.

Last edited by Little Luke; 01-26-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:06 PM
it was worth it, $700 for the rockers and bed in line-x. I want to add more black to my truck to set if off even further.

e4od and 4r100, are very similar transmissions, 4r100 is practically yet another revision of the e4od.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Stick with the e4od, if it can handle the powerstroke torque with guys chiping them your stock 5.4 is not even close to pushing the potential of that trans.

The e4od is a older 4r100

4= 4 speed
R=rear wheel drive
100= rated to handle 1000 foot pounds of torque at imput shaft

Yea 1000ft/lb! hard to beat that for a factory 1/2 ton trans!!!
My truck came with that trans too, only the early 97's had it, the rest got 4r70w's(aode). we got lucky.

Last edited by FoMoCo Fan; 01-26-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:07 PM
so... Are you saying the transmission could do alright with a blown motorwith 600lb of torque at the crank if I just have it rebuilt, or do I still need to have some upgrades done? The guy at the shop said something about (and dont quote me on this, bad memory) a billit torque converter or billet plated or something along that lines.

Klitch, so did you use bed line X on the rocker panels? if so, then does it hold pretty good to the panels or do you have to redo them every once and awhile. Just curious, I have a set of diamond pate panels I made, but removed them after it became a chore to polish the aluminium. plus, it was a little to much with all of the other stainless crap I built and put on my truck.I figured paint would scratch way to easy to I just stored them.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:53 PM
A proformance t/c, extra coolers, and a shift kit will keep it relaiable with that much power. much more and hi perf clutches would be recomended.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:00 PM
The way to go is like the way Darrin treated me. The newer trannies use hardened parts, he used these on my trans along with better quality clutch material and a performance t/c.

the rockers have lasted 4 years, I need a touch-up behind the rear tires by the bumper on the very bottom from the rocks (no mud flaps) other than that, nothing on the rockers. the bed's got a few missing chunks from thing i've hauled.

Quick Reply: Need tranny advise