Torque converter shudder??

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torque converter shudder??

I have a 2001 F150 with 88k miles.

I believe I have converter shudder that happens some before 45 but around 45/50 it like running over a washboard or riding down a dirt road that has not be scrapped in a while.

A few weeks ago, I changed the tranny fluid and also put friction modifier in the rear end (changed the gear oil also).

Earlier this week I put in some tranny conditioner that was supposed to stop shudder. Took it for a ride on the highway ~ 20 miles kicking it in to passing gear many times.

After a few days the shudder is still there, not much better if any.

My question. Does it sound like converter shutter? If so, what is the estimated cost to fix that problem?

Any info/suggestions are appreciated.

OH yea.. one other thing:
At one time I floored it from a dead stop to about 85 the tack went to ~5000 between shift changes. However, when the each shift occurred I heard a very short sweek/squeal, it was not barking the tires the sound came from the tranny. Is this normal??? Don't laugh, I admit it's been many years since I floored any auto, I used to bark the tires on my 68 cuda but again that was a longgggggg time ago.. :-)

Old 10-03-2008, 12:14 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Are you sure the squeal wasn't the serpentine belt? This is quite common and a Goodyear Gatorback usually takes care of that.

When you changed the tranny fluid, did you do a complete change or just drop the pan?

Are you still on the original spark plugs and coils?

Old 10-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Thinking about it, the squeal could have been the belt.

I will talk with the mechanic that did the tranny fluid change to see if he did a complete change. And yes I am still on the orginal plugs and coils. This shudder happens between 45/50 and then subsides, if it were plugs or coils wouldn't that cause a rough idle? It idles and excelerates fine.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:27 PM
glc
You would think so, but that's not necessarily the case. What's called a "low grade misfire" is common - and it can feel very much like torque converter shudder. It almost always rears its head right after it shifts into OD and you are going easy on the throttle. The PCM strategy at this exact time is to run it super lean, and if the ignition is impaired it will intermittently misfire.

At 88K, I'd change the plugs on general principle. Use OEM Motorcrafts. Do not let anyone tell you that Autolites are the same thing, because they are definitely not. 88K is very near the recommended change interval anyway.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:32 PM
I think I may be experiencing the same thing. Im no mechanic, and not even sure what a torque converter is, but I'll be driving down a road at say 35mph, taking it easy when I apply just a little gas, I can feel a low vibration and the engine sags a bit but when I apply more gas, it goes away.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:03 AM
" It almost always rears its head right after it shifts into OD and you are going easy on the throttle. "

Wow I think you nailed this problem on the head. That is exactly what is happening. If I acceralate (not going easy on the trottle) it normally stop most of the shudder. I did notice when I am going easy on the throttle is when I feel the shaking the most, if I come off the throttle it subsides, then back on easy it starts back.

Are there any franchizes out there that you can recommend to do a plug change.
The Ford Dealership is telling me it is about $580.00 to do a plug change. Not sure what that includes as I forgot to ask.
Also should I change plugs, wires and what about the coils?.

I will request OEM Motorcrafts plugs

Thanks a bunch for the advise.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:39 PM
glc
Which engine do you have?

Old 10-05-2008, 09:29 PM
5.4 Liter

Old 10-06-2008, 02:03 AM
glc
That price is bordering on ridiculous. You don't have plug wires, you have "cops" - coil on plugs. Each plug has an individual coil sitting on top of it.

Motorcraft SP-479 plugs cost $2.52 each from rockauto.com, and a full set of 8 new cops is around $80 from Global Automotive's Ebay store. I'm guessing book labor for that job is 3 hours max. If you are reasonably skilled and experienced, you can do it yourself.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:39 AM
My f-150 has 140 K on it, and I am not sure if it had any of this stuff done before I bought it. I did change the tranny fluid myself so I know that hadn't been done prior. I still need to do a full flush on the system.

My truck is shuddering HARD when it tries to shift around 35-40 miles an hour. The RPM's go really high at that time. My husband tells me he thinks that it is the torque converter, but I think it is a combination of things. He is moderately talented on working on cars so he can help me with repairs if we can start to narrow down the culprit.

~L~

Old 10-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
One way to check if it's the torque converter is to keep your right foot on the gas and don't let off when it starts doing it. Immediately tap the brake with your left foot just enough to light up the brake lights.

If it stops doing it as soon as you tap the brake then it's most likely torque converter shudder. If not, then start looking at ignition and the EGR system.

Darrin

Old 10-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Smile Thanks to some good advise, I got it FIXED!!!

First of all I want to thank everyone who has posted to this tread. Thanks to your vast experiences and knowledgable advice I think I have fixed my problem.

I went to autozone this morning and ask them to check my problem codes and we found the number 3 coil was showing errors. GLC was correct I was having:

"What's called a "low grade misfire" - and it can feel very much like torque converter shudder"

I considered changing the plugs myself but after looking at all the stuff I would have to remove to get to those back plugs I decided to punt and have it done by someone who knows what they are doing :-).

I asked the guy at autozone if he knew a good local mechanic and I bought the parts from AZ and the mechanic changed the plugs for $100. Eight Motorcraft SP-479 Plugs were about 25 and the coil was 47 BWD brand is all he had at the time. Less than $175 and I am back on the road. Sure beats $580 that the Ford Dealership wanted.

If I have any more coil problems I will purchase a full set of coils from the ebay store. But both the AZ guy and mechanic told me that the other coils could last for another 50K miles so I decided to replace only the one throwing errors.

Today on the way home so shuddering at all.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!

Last edited by Wolf-2; 10-06-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:20 PM
glc
When it's time, you can probably do the cops yourself - it's getting the plugs in and out that's a bit tight.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:54 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-I...mZ160272001901

Is this the correct coils for my truck..

Tittle on ebay :

NEW IGNITION COILS 97-06 FORD F150 F-150 V8 DG508 (8)

Old 10-08-2008, 11:41 PM
glc
Exactly!

Quick Reply: Torque converter shudder??