2001 Transmission troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Transmission troubles

I bought a used 2001 with about 120,000 miles. It had a rebuilt transmission already. Soon after I bought it I noticed transmission fluid leaking from the front of the bell housing and the rubber plug on the bottom of the bell housing. I took it to a local shop where they replaced the front pump seal. It started leaking again on the way home. I took it back, they replaced the front pump seal again and some other parts in the transmission after they checked to see if there were allignment problems. It still leaked after about 20 miles of driving. All of the pressure tests are OK. They recommended replacing the entire transmission. I decided to go ahead and do it. I just got the truck back with a Jasper rebuilt and I noticed some fluid leaking already from the same spot. It there something outside of the transmission that can cause this problem? Thanks for any help anyone can give.

deck

Old 03-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Are you sure it's transmission fluid? The engine can leak into the trans bellhousing, and then it will drip out of the rubber plug.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't noticed any more leaks other than that one drip, it must have been excess fluid from the install. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: 2001 Transmission troubles