Changing Tranny Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After you drop the pan,and change the filter. Flush the tranny yourself.If you have a 4R75W tranny with a cooler,disconnect the cooler lines,slip some 7/16" tubing over the connector ends. Place the discharge line in a empty 5 gal bucket,the return line in a 5 gal bucket fillet with fluid. You can let the transmission pump(s) transfer the fluid for you. The Ford stealership adds a chemical to the system for a "Flush".

Old 10-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've done SWThomas' method several times...twice so far on my '02. Works like a champ, I know what kind of fluid I'm putting in there, and I know the job is done right!!!

Old 10-11-2007, 02:17 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by sysman_rick
Place the discharge line in a empty 5 gal bucket,the return line in a 5 gal bucket fillet with fluid. You can let the transmission pump(s) transfer the fluid for you.
That's not going to work. The transmission won't draw the new fluid from the bucket. The suction for the pump is in the filter in the pan, it isn't the cooler return line. This line connects to the rear lube circuit, then is dumped in the pan.

Use this method to change the fluid:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...nsmission.html

Old 12-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Mark, I just found your article on tranny oil changes. I changed filter and drained torque converter on my '01 5.4 every 30-40K miles. I just sold it last week (204k miles) and I bought a new '07 5.4 two weeks ago. This truck also has the towing package and I noticed a large alum cooler down below the condenser/radiator and behind the front bumper. I have not traced lines yet to determine if this is a tranny cooler or power steering cooler. Can I use your method of draining/flushing system using plastic hose on the trans inlet fitting to cooler?

Is it possible to drill and tap a hole in torque converter so that a plug can be installed, lol? Sure makes it easy to change most of the fluid in system. BTW, I never had any trouble with the trans in my '01 after 204K miles so the frequent oil/filter changes probably made a big difference in longevity of tranny.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:30 PM
If it's a large cooler it is the trans cooler. A small one is the power steering cooler.

You can do the same change on the '07.

You could drill a hole in the torque converter and add a drain plug. I've heard of people doing it. If you drill in the wrong area you'll be buying a new torque converter. Also, if a chip from the drilling gets in the torque converter it can end up almost anywhere in the trans, and you might be buying a new trans.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Can I disconnect the inlet line to cooler to drain system? Do you know which one is the inlet line to cooler? Or would it be better to disconnect the return line from cooler to tranny? I can probably make up a fitting with clear line to connect to the outlet side of cooler so that access is easier rather than having to work with line under vehicle.

I read your article and you mention running engine until air appears in plastic line. Wouldn't this indicate that tranny is empty where potential damage could occur? Could you pump out some of the oil, refill with new, and watch for clean oil in clear tubing to indicate that all the old oil has been pumped out?

Thanks for the help, Mark!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by John Patterson
Can I disconnect the inlet line to cooler to drain system?
Yes.

Do you know which one is the inlet line to cooler?
No.

Or would it be better to disconnect the return line from cooler to tranny?
It doesn't matter.

Wouldn't this indicate that tranny is empty where potential damage could occur?
Yes, it will be empty, and no, it won't damage the trans is you shut if off as soon as you see the large air bubble. If you were to let it run for a while you will damage the pump.

Could you pump out some of the oil, refill with new, and watch for clean oil in clear tubing to indicate that all the old oil has been pumped out?
You won't see clean oil until you've changed just about all of the fluid. That's going to take about 11-12 quarts or so on a 4R70W. The pan holds about 5. How are you going to do this?

Everyone has their own comfort level about this procedure. I've done it on at least a dozen vehicles. I also was a trans engineer for many years and I know how these things work. I'm comfortable with using this method.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Since vehicle doesnt have a torque converter drain, I will use your method, first draining pan and replacing filter before pumping out old oil.

The local oil change business will do the flush but they won't change the filter, and another shop can change the filter but they can't flush out old oil so I started doing my own tranny service after first flush.

Quick Reply: Changing Tranny Fluid