2002 F-150 4.2L 2WD transmission help

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 F-150 4.2L 2WD transmission help

I've been searching all over the place and have got several idea's from other peoples issues but still cant figure mine out.

First of all, is there a speed sensor on the 2002 F-150 4.2L and if so, where the freak is it!! I've looked on top of the rear dif and on top of the transmission close to where the drive shaft connects and cant find it, well, at least nothing that looks like this.

anyway, my problem is pretty similar to others. It started with a clunking noise (sounded like somewhere in the back) and eventually ended up where my wheels where locked up... I thought maybe I tore up the rear dif. The Overdrive light is flashing (I still need to take it to a transmission shop to pull the code). It wouldnt drive at that point and didnt want to tow it to a transmission shop if I could fix it myself so I had it towed to the house (my 1 free tow thru insurance). Me and a friend took off the differential cover and everything looks great, fluids needed to be changed but thats about it. So we knew it wasnt the Differential at that point.

Decided to unhook the driveshaft from the transmission and put it in gear to see if it made a grinding noise (at least I'd know if it was the Trans) but it spun freely. Transmission fluid is at a good level and is clean.

We put new differential fluid and reconnected the driveshaft and where able to get it to move but it still has issues (overdrive light still flashing).

Basically when I put it in gear (reverse or drive) heres what happens.

1. From a stop in gear (reverse or Drive) it kind of feels like Im trying to powerstall (hold brake and rev engine) but the tires dont spin, all of the sudden I will hear a pop and it will jerk forward/reverse and start to move (sometimes chirping the tires).

2. Once in motion I hear a metal on metal sound, kind of sounds like when you have a really worn brake pad thats grinding againts the disc. This gets more pronounced as I speed up... cant really tell exactly where its coming from but it sounds like the back.

3. if I get on the gas the engine hesitates for a few seconds and feels like it stays in gear and doesnt down shift, eventually it does but its a very pronounced hesitation.

4. Before me and friend worked on it the Overdrive light would constantly flash on and off, after working on it and driving around the block 3 times the light would stop flashing for a few minutes at a time then start back up again.

could ANY of this still be due to the Speed sensor going bad? I wouldnt think so just because of the grinding noise but I've been wrong before. Maybe the torque converter? Any idea's would be appreciated, especially if you can tell me where the Speed sensor is located. Again its a 2002 F150 4.2L V6 2WD. I will be going to a transmission shop on Thrusday (my day off) to have the code(s) pulled.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Check your anti-lock brake system.

Darrin

Old 07-02-2007, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
Check your anti-lock brake system.

Darrin
Thanks, got the sensor now, going to replace it after dinner and cross my fingers!

Old 07-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by Phyzik
Thanks, got the sensor now, going to replace it after dinner and cross my fingers!

Well, it wasnt the sensor like I hoped....

Got the codes pulled and got a total of 7 codes!

P0712
P0713
P1747
P0743
P0740
P1760

The Torque converter is pretty much totalled (thats where the grinding noise is coming from). Dropped the pan for the Transmission and there is lots of metal shavings in there but I think I caught it in time to save it (the filter caught almost all of it) and not have to buy a new one... getting it torn apart now to see if anything needs to be replaced and just rebuild it.

anyway, thanks for the Help Darrin, just thought Id give an update.

Quick Reply: 2002 F-150 4.2L 2WD transmission help