Transmission Gave UP

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Transmission Gave UP

I think My M5R2 5spd finally let go. I can't go forward of reverse with out it binding, but I can put it in neutral and it rolls no problem. I think the inners are toast.
I bought the truck used 160K and rattling. I thought it was the throw out bearing Untill I checked the transmission oil, there was none. I filled it up and almoat all the rattling stopped, except when driving at a set speed with out a lot of load on the tranny.
I drove it to work and back home, noticed a little hard shifting but nothing really bad. But after I got home, I was backing up an thought I hit something but it was the tranny binding up.Well now it wants to bind up and is hard to shift. Any Suggestions?

Now, if I cant find or afford another 5spd, I was quoted up to $1200 for a rebuild, can I put an Automatic in it. If so which would be appropriate? I would like an overdrive, but the truck has really high gears so a 3spd would not kill me since it is not a daily driver. I use it to haul my ATV and make short runs to supply stores 100 miles round trip MAX. Thanks guys!

Oh, by the way I am new to this forum.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:56 PM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
Have you looked in salvage yards yet? That Mazda tranny is quite reliable, about the only way to kill it is run it without oil...........

Old 07-06-2007, 03:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Have you looked in salvage yards yet? That Mazda tranny is quite reliable, about the only way to kill it is run it without oil...........
Yes I have checked at a few places and have some potentials, but I don't want to buy just anything from anyone.
I believe the previous owner (company truck) got the best of the tranny long before I got the truck. I don't think tune-ups and fluid checks were high on their list of to do's. I changed the plugs and all of them had over.090 gap , one you could slide the gapper completely through it , and two even pulled apart.
But i think a tranny, new clutch kit, slave cylinder and U-joints will about fixit. I want to get it all while I have the Tranny out. The engine is super strong and doesn't smoke at all and still has a lot of life in it, so it is a keeper for sure. 300 SIX ROCKS

Quick Reply: Transmission Gave UP