Rear tranny seal

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear tranny seal

Hey fellas my rear tranny seal popped out of the tranny and I replaced it and it happened again the same day.I currently have a 7.5" lift and 110,000 mile on it.Also my leaf springs were loose for about two weeks until I tightened the springs the same day I replaced the seal.My question is may it be possible that all these factors may have done serious damage to my tranny because the tranny drives fine but the seal keeps popping off and fluid come out.thanks

Old 05-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Your rear bushing in your trans is problably bad. Does the yoke wiggle much where it goes into the trans? If so your bushing and possible your yoke is bad. Also, I have seen these bushings work themselves in and out of the tailhousing, if so, the tailhousing may need to be replace.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:02 PM
No it doesnt wiggle real bad do you possibly think my drive shaft might be out of true?When I get up to about 70 to75 mph I get vibration in the rear end.The new seal popped off about 2 miles on the freeway.worse case senario how much for repairs? thanks

Old 05-27-2007, 09:23 AM
I guess I should ask first, did it start when you added your lift? Your driveline angle is going to be pretty severe. Make sure your u-joints are good. Remove your driveshaft and wiggle each joint in both directions. If there is any binding, replace it. Also, is the truck 4x4, one piece or two piece shaft?

Old 05-27-2007, 10:04 PM
Ive had the lift on since sep of 06 and no problems.My truck is a 2wd and has a one piece driveshaft.The problem happened in the last week.On my way from work the seal popped off I replaced it a few hours later I jumped on the freeway and 2 miles down the road it popped off and Im stumped.Thanks for the info

Old 05-28-2007, 03:03 PM
Hey Rdeeno I checked my driveshaft I put my truck in neutral and checked for play in the tail shaft and found alot of play.Do you have a ball park figure on how much this fix will cost?Thanks

Old 05-28-2007, 03:37 PM
I would say about 2 to 3 hrs at a shop and possibly a new tailhousing and driveshaft yoke. Generally the bushings wallers out the tailhousing and grooves up the yoke. Parts, maybe about 250. Just a guess.

Quick Reply: Rear tranny seal