Transmission or Torque Converter ? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission or Torque Converter ? Please help

Long Story Warning!

I have a 99 Ford F150, the trany started to slip due to low fluid, I went and bought fluid which I found out was the wrong fluid after putting it in. So I immediatley drained all the fluid, let the truck run to drain the torque converter, while under the truck I noticed that the transmission had shifted back away from the torque converter slightly (prob from where it was hitting hard before going into gear).
Before draining the fluid the truck would go into all forward gears if I reved the truck,it would then hit pretty hard and go into gear.

After draining the fluid and refilling with the correct fluid the truck would not go into any forward gears no matter how much I reved up the truck, but would take reverse with no problems at all (didnt have to reve it up).
Now when I jacked up the truck to see if maybe the problem was in the rear end the truck would go into ALL gears and the tires would spin, but as soon as I put the truck back on the ground it wouldnt take any gears except reverse.

Now I am being told it could be the torque converter.

I have been told so many different things I am at a total loss.

Is it the transmission or the torque converter?

Please help

Old 04-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The torque converter does the EXACT same thing in drive and reverse. If the trans works in reverse then it can't be the torque converter.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:15 AM
So then it has to be the tranny, correct?

It just dont make sense to me that the truck will go into all gears if the rear end is jacked up but wont go into forward gears if you set the truck on the ground.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisharris
So then it has to be the tranny, correct?

It just dont make sense to me that the truck will go into all gears if the rear end is jacked up but wont go into forward gears if you set the truck on the ground.
your tranny is toast. Rebuild or replacement time.

You're either exhausting your hydraulic pressure in FWD or the forward clutches have glazed/worn out. A pressure test would help pinpoint it.

It will go forward on jackstands because there's no resistance to the drivetrain. Once you have resistance, it slips.

Steve

Old 04-17-2007, 02:27 PM
Thank You so much for your help, I will have a test run now that I know it cant possibly be the torque converter.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:34 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
You are probably low on fluid still. Check the fluid in park or neutral with the parking brake on and the engine running. Pay close attention to the dipstick to make sure the fluid covers it all the way around. A lot of people make the mistake of seeing fluid on the dipstick and thinking thats the level. The fluid needs to cover the dipstick completely all the way around or its not at that level.

Start off with the simple stuff.

Darrin

Quick Reply: Transmission or Torque Converter ? Please help