overdrive myth's

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dancodanco
gi joe you are amazing.
oem changes/R+D spends money for gains for whom? you
Nope. I never stated that either. Don't put words in my mouth. However, if it was possible, they would do it because it would allow them to raise their CAFE, and, therefore, they would be able to sell more of the gas-guzzling 3mpg rockets.

I answerd that in my first post. gvmt standerd mpg is 55mph anything over or under is wasted money to them.
Where the hell are you getting that number?? Do you have ANY concept of how those fuel economy numbers are measured?? Please do some reading on the EPS mileage test methods, both the current ones and the proposed new test methods before opening your trap.

Proposed new method:
http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/420f06009.htm

More detail about the procedure here:
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/fefact01.pdf

And for a very in-depth explanation of how they want to begin determining the new numbers, read all 179 pages of this:
http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/420r06017.pdf

Lots of good, factual information here:
http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/regulations.htm

Suffice it to say, the OEMs do a lot more than drive it at 55mph to measure that number.

edit: Found a great graphic re[resentation of the individual dyno tests they run with the vehicles...
http://www.epa.gov/nvfel/methods/quickdds.htm
It's way more involved than driving at 55mph.

he company gearvendor.http://www.villa-automotive.com/Over...Overdrive.html proven to increase mpg.
http://www.ecodrive.org/eco proven to increase mpg. look at golden rule #1
First, the correct URL would be http://www.gearvendors.com
Second, here's a GREAT quote right from the first paragraph of the manufacturer's site:
t takes a little rethinking for most people to realize that a Truck (or RV) hauling a heavy load up a hill and a Drag Race (or Off Road Racer) really do share similar problems. To move a specific weight faster, whether from 0-60 or 0-160 requires the best advantage in torque multiplication (gearing). The equation for horsepower is "Torque multiplied by RPM divided by 5252 = Horsepower". Gear Vendors is the one product that can work on both sides of that equation with more torque multiplication and keeping your engines rpm in a narrower and more powerful band. 2 world records in Drag Racing and 4 Off Road Championships all benefited from exactly this close ratio multiplying aspect of the product. The Gear Vendors ability to reduce the stress on your main transmission is also important to our success in Motorsport
Notice they do not say, "Lower RPM = greater fuel economy". The key, as we've all tried to explain already, is maintaining that RPM that will generate that power necessary to move the load at peak efficiency. That does not necessarily mean lower RPM.

Fla speed limit is 70mph I tow my boat at 80 to 85mph on I95 in fla. Tractor trailers passing me at 110mph loaded with split 12 speed's=24 gears.
What the hell does that have to do with fuel economy? Yes, the high OD gearing allows him to go that fast, but do you really think he gets the same fuel economy at 100+ as he does at 55??? In your dreams!

If i said standing up makes you taller than sitting.
you would say i was wrong because if you sit on top of mount everest you would be taller than standing in a submarine. you go ahead and ride around in 3rd gear with your rpm's at 5000, you save fuel your way, see if i care.
Altitude makes no significant difference in your height. However, astronauts' spinal columns do, in fact, lengthen in the weightlessness of space. From that statement, and applying your logic, F is force on you which is gravity, so gravity=f, height=h, and s is your spinal column, so since gravity in space goes down, and it's related to your spinal column, if F goes down, h must go up!! I just proved it mathematically!

Last edited by GIJoeCam; 03-02-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread is immensely entertaining....

Old 06-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Things to consider

Headwind, Tailwind, altitude, weather (Hot or Cold) some lower torque engines use more fuel with heat and A/C. weight in vehicle (luggage, # of passengers) Tire size, wheel size, slight upgrade, slight downgrade, fuel (cheap gas or even putting premium in a 87 rated engine will decrease MPG and performance) all things that affect OD performance without the gears even changing, these are things that will change MPG while staying in your OD gear. Generally speaking, RPMs is where OD usually makes you money, if you cant get decent RPMs to continue steadily, and you cant keep it in OD because of too many hills and whatever else, its not saving you much. if any. anyone who remebers 4 speeds remembers those moments where its hard to decide between 3rd and 4th,in 4th your flooring it with little response, and in 3rd the RPMs are just too high (mostly uphill). something to think about... even if it doesnt save you gas,in one way or the other, that 5th or 6th gear is helping your car alot!!!

Old 06-04-2009, 10:15 AM
In caveat

The faster you go, the more wind resistance... the more wind resistance, the more your vehicle has to push, the more it pushes, the harder it works... and so on... you get the point.

P.S. after you wash your car, watch the water... once you hit about (considering its a calm day) 55, it starts to really begin "rolling" back, up your windshield and hood etc. As you accelerate FROM 55 on, watch how the water responds with the increase of every 5-10 MPH... You'll understand the difference between 55 and 70MPH at that point... this experiment works on a calm rainy day as well.

Last edited by Dynamic; 06-04-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Old 04-08-2010, 11:03 PM
This is a HOOT!! I'm going to idle my truck to work from now on. The money I save in gas will offset the pay I would lose by showing up a week late. Oh wait, my truck is an automatic so if L increases (hills), F remains constant, R remains constant, then S drops to a big fat zero. I'm sure my boss will understand if I'm paradigm stuck at the bottom of a hill. LOL!!! Lighten up people and "let it go".

Old 04-08-2010, 11:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MentalDefex
Lighten up people and "let it go".
They did "let it go" - three years ago. LOL

Old 04-09-2010, 07:59 AM
Dangit greencrew!! You had me thinking I was responsible for reviving an old a$$ thread!! I had to come back and check the dates. I KNEW I found this under the "new posts" link. Actually faawrenchbndr brought it back to the top. oh well, our bad. LOL!!

Old 04-09-2010, 11:40 PM
does f still equal u?? Notice that masterd revived this 4 days shy of a year ago also, i love this place

Quick Reply: overdrive myth's