od light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
od light flashing

ok last yr it started.fixed the problem then bad ground on boat trailer.now it has started again had 2 different friends use handheld scanners no codes.i've noticed some times when i tilt my wheel my light flickers i read somewhere it 's possibly getting pinched (ford)was having problems with this in tilt steering.also heard could be vss.any suggestions

Old 03-20-2006, 07:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the light steadily flashing, or random on/off?

If it is steady there is a code, but you need a Ford specific scan tool to read transmissions codes. The generic scan tools won't read a trans code.

If it is flickering, or randomly coming on and off it is probably a pinched wire at the end of the shifter that is inside the plastic cover over the steering column.

Old 03-20-2006, 02:16 PM
thanks how hard is it to replace the wire,or do i need to take it to ford.also when my od light flashes cont the trans shifts hard but i can go in and out of od no problem just shifts hard.i'm afraid to drive outside of town will it hurt the trans if i drive it like this

Old 03-20-2006, 02:47 PM
You didn't answer my question:
Is the light steadily flashing, or random on/off?
Since you say it shifts hard when the light flashes, and you can take it in and out of overdrive, you don't have a broken wire. Something else is wrong.

You need to have the code read. The code will stay in memory even if the light stops flashing. The scan tool needs to be a Ford specific scan tool, a generic scan tool won't read a transmission code.

You need to do it soon. A simple trans problem often leads to a total failure if you keep driving it.

Old 03-20-2006, 02:59 PM
when it flashes it is steady till i reset it.sorry

Old 03-20-2006, 03:05 PM
The steady flashing light means there is a code stored. The next step is to get the code read. Nothing useful can be done until you know what code was stored.

Old 03-20-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by casey_1
The steady flashing light means there is a code stored. The next step is to get the code read. Nothing useful can be done until you know what code was stored.
ok thanks

Old 03-31-2006, 10:35 PM
guys had a master mechanic from a local dealer bring a scanner home and check my system.had several codes so he wanted to clear it and start from scratch.no problems now for over a week he said sometimes the computer will scan itself and might of just picked up on the codes from last yr.don't know but as of right now it's working.thanks for all the help

Old 03-31-2006, 11:13 PM
I have the same issue, however as soon as the flashing started the truck has trouble getting up to speed. And it also shifts hard from time to time. Once I get up to 50mph it is fine but below that it has trouble moving.

Old 04-02-2006, 08:46 PM
no problem with speed,but shifts very hard when od button flashing,mechanic said was pressure building in line and do not drive.once he cleared old codes out now it's doing fine.

Old 05-02-2006, 06:07 PM
I'm going to jump in on this thread. Flashing OD light.
I didn't read this soon enough to get a Ford specific scan. Autozone came up with nada, of course.

I've figured out when the light comes on. On the brakes, down shift to 2nd. It's really rough, enough to feel it drop into 2nd. By the time I look, the light is on.

Just restarting it turns the light off. The light was off on the way to Autozone and didn't kick on until I pulled into my street on the return trip.

Things to do:
Check fluid
Clear code (via battery disconnect)
If it does it again,
Ford scan (I'll be sure to take KY with me)
Repost with scan details.

Quick Reply: od light flashing