4x4 transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4x4 transmission question

Hello,
my dad bought a '97 4x4 F150, automatic transmission with manual 4x4.
We both never drove pickups nor 4x4s before, so none of knows how to shifts the truck into 4x4 Hi mode... I believe right now it's in 2x4 mode because the rear-end is too unstable in this snowy condition. (the truck performs worse than our FF car in RWD mode). I tried putting the truck in N(and from P too), depressing the brake pedal and then shifting, but the stick won't move in any direction at all. We don't have the user manual to look into. I'm sure all of you know this, so please help me out!

Sorry for bugging you with stupid questions like this

Thanks
-D

Old 01-31-2006, 02:42 PM
Stop your truck on level ground, hold the brake and put trans in neutrel. the 2HI, 4HI, 4LO shifter should move with some effort but not hard. If it does not, you have a problem with your transfere case. Mever buy a 4X4 with out checking the 4HI and 4LO. These are expensive problems to fix. Good luck

Old 01-31-2006, 02:51 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Get under the truck and spray the linkage with penetrating oil. Let it soak for a few minutes and then try pulling the lever back. As you pull it back it should lock into the 4Hi position. As long as both fornt and rear wheels are traveling at the same speed and not exceeding 55 mph it should now engage. From the 4Hi position you pull it to the left and then back and it will go into the 4Lo position. You need to be either stopped or traveling slower than 5 mph for it to safely engage 4Lo. If all of this works it was the linkage that was binding. By your description the system was hardly used. You may also encounter problems with the front axle not engaging. But that is another story.

JMC

Old 01-31-2006, 04:10 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Yup, ten to one the linkage is just "frozen" from lack of use. JMC is right, I don't even want to wonder what condition the front axle vacuum control system is.

Adrianspeeder

Old 01-31-2006, 04:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also, you can download a manual at www.motorcraftservice.com. In the owners section. It's free.

Old 01-31-2006, 05:22 PM
Thanks a lot guys.
I actually made it work, not really sure how, I just tried the same thing again, and it worked. I thought you have to move the stick all the way like in manual cars, but you only have to push it slightly, and hear the "click". I immediately went out and tested it. WOW! IT'S AMAZING WHAT TRACTION it had!It immediately put a smile on my face. It was my first time driving a 4x4 vehicle and even though the roads were covered in snow, slush, and were very wet, the system worked like a charm. The truck was like on rails. I also liked when I was at stop, the truck remained calm without having to keep your foot on the brake pedal. Like driving a manual trsm. car.
On bad weather days, my dad used to say before :"Are you nuts? I'm not driving the truck today, I don't want to die!" but now I bet he's not gonna drive anything else.
The only negative thing I noticed was that the steering wheel was rotating to the right side slightly. Is that common when in 4x4 mode? I don't remmember it being like that before.

Thanks again...

Old 01-31-2006, 06:29 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Please be careful. A 4x4 handles very close to a 4x2 in icy conditions or any time you are on the brakes. Ever notice how after a snow usually it's a 4x4 in the ditch on the side of the road? Not sayin your a bad driver, just ya need to take it easy.

Adrianspeeder

Old 01-31-2006, 08:04 PM
That is some very good advice! Also remember that as long as the tires are rotating you still have control, once they start sliding it is usually game over. Four wheel drive gets you going, common sense and alert driving keeps your truck in one piece. Congrats on your new truck, and also there are no stupid questions!

Quick Reply: 4x4 transmission question