I Need A New 4r70w

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I Need A New 4r70w

I got the flashing O/D, so Itook my truck to A trans shop I trust, and after scanning and test drive ( code 738 3/4) I was told that I need a new trans at 54 k miles..
Any suggestions on where to buy on line?
My reputable trans guy is way too expensive on rebuilds - I'm thinking Factory Tech may be a good deal, but I would like some options.

Another option I have considered is changing the color of the flashing O/D light, and learning to enjoy it.............

Thanx, Burns

Old 10-07-2005, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 4R70W Ford remans are pretty reasonable and come with a 3 year, 36000 mile warranty, good nationwide.

Old 10-07-2005, 07:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you do roll with a Ford reman unit, please, please, pretty please with sugar on top, have it installed by someone in the know, who'll be sure to flush the cooler and lines throughly. No one at a Ford store likes having to go back into a reman unit installed by an outside vendor because the proper precautions to guard against another failure weren't taken.

Old 10-07-2005, 07:40 PM
Thanx,
I called the dealer, and the Ford reman was $ 1,752.50 incl tax - reman to OEM specs 36 mo / 36 K warranty That'll do...... I will get ahold of my trans shop and discuss installation and flushing, and re-installation of my FT valve body.

Old 10-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
If you do roll with a Ford reman unit, please, please, pretty please with sugar on top, have it installed by someone in the know, who'll be sure to flush the cooler and lines throughly. No one at a Ford store likes having to go back into a reman unit installed by an outside vendor because the proper precautions to guard against another failure weren't taken.
Amen!

Old 10-07-2005, 10:38 PM
I would get a second opinion. Probably a small electrical problem. I have found that transmission shops do that. When I converted my truck to 4wd the 4x4 transmission I had shipped was strapped to the palet to tight and squished the pan into the solenoid pack. I didn't know it hurt the solenoid pack at the time and had the codes read, the transmission shop said I needed to have the trans rebuilt. I got to thinkin about what could have happened and looked at what the crushed pan could have hurt. Long story short, I changed the solenoid pack for less than $100, and I have been driving it for years with no codes present.

Old 10-07-2005, 11:37 PM
Thanx 93 -

I really like this trans shop.
I took in an old 86 chev years ago for what I thought would be a new trans for sure, and left with a $ 135 bill for a governor gear and service... fixed the problem.
I think this current problem was there and I thought it was the nature of the beast.
I'd heard that the 4r70w was sloppy, and I accepted what might have been a solenoid problem as a general Ford screw up.
Now the clutches are worn and going.... After it was explained to me, I can now recognize it.
In this town I have little faith in any shop for a second opinion, but I will ask around and give it a try.

Trending Topics

Old 10-10-2005, 10:14 PM
ok i understand your devotion i have sorta the same problem i took it to eagle transmission on crockford street in scarborough ont and talked to a good friend named jimmy and he set me up with a good price on the rebuild and gave me a years warrenty with it i trust them now whole heartedly give them a try

Old 10-12-2005, 08:44 AM
I got a second opinion from another shop on my trans. It was pretty much the same as the first.
The second shop would have been a couple of hundred $ more in the long run, so I think it is what it is ....I need a new transmission.
Ford reman is the best deal.

Old 10-12-2005, 04:37 PM
I don't understand what code(s) you are saying your trans is throwing. Please type them out seperatly. I tried looking up the combonations that you provided and they don't match anything in the code data base.
Thanks,
Josh
Originally Posted by ONELOWF
I got the flashing O/D, so Itook my truck to A trans shop I trust, and after scanning and test drive ( code 738 3/4) I was told that I need a new trans at 54 k miles..
Any suggestions on where to buy on line?
My reputable trans guy is way too expensive on rebuilds - I'm thinking Factory Tech may be a good deal, but I would like some options.

Another option I have considered is changing the color of the flashing O/D light, and learning to enjoy it.............

Thanx, Burns

Old 10-12-2005, 07:12 PM
Thanx, braxx

The code was 783 - it affects the 3rd to 4th shift, actually it slips when it first goes into O/D.

I was told that the clutches were burned - an internal condition which needs rebuilding.

Old 10-12-2005, 10:43 PM
You'd really have to beat and batter a tranny to kill it at 54000 miles, if it wasn't defective from the get-go. I had a 91 Explorer as my first car, drove it to 247000 before I sold it. Rebuilt the tranny at 212000. My next car was a 95 Explorer 4x4, sold it with 198000 on the clock, no rebuild. On the other hand, the aode in my mustang, I roasted that biatch in like 2 months, but that had more to do with me and less to do with it.

Old 10-13-2005, 09:56 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ONELOWF
I got a second opinion from another shop on my trans. It was pretty much the same as the first.
The second shop would have been a couple of hundred $ more in the long run, so I think it is what it is ....I need a new transmission.
Ford reman is the best deal.
I know of a much better deal by a pretty good stretch on exceptionally high quality remanufactured transmissions. Unfortunatley due to the forum rules, I can't tell you about it here.
I wish I could and I really, really would like to. But rules are rules. As you said, it is what it is and while I wish I could help, I don't want to put my membership in jeopardy.

Darrin

Old 10-13-2005, 11:15 AM
Here is what the ford diag manual says.
Code
P0783 ** SSA/SS1, SSB/SS2 or internal parts 3-4 shift error Engine rpm drop not detected when 3-4 shift was commanded by PCM. Improper gear selection depending on failure or mode and manual lever position. Shift errors may also be due to other internal transmission concerns (stuck valves, damaged friction material). Refer to Solenoid On/Off Charts in Shift Solenoids Pre-
Diagnosis. Refer to Pinpoint Test A .
By the way, hit up Darrin for info on a deal.

Old 10-13-2005, 11:43 PM
O.K. Darrin - spill your guts boy!

Darrin be my :santa:

Thanx, braxx for code translation.

Navi, I really just cruise no abuse. How does abuse get a 783 code?

Quick Reply: I Need A New 4r70w