1995 F150 4x4 manual transmission--can't get it out of 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 F150 4x4 manual transmission--can't get it out of 2nd gear

Hello, I need some advice, please. My 1994 F150 will not shift out of second gear. This happened late yesterday afternoon after my husband had returned from running an errand. I can't get the gear shift to move at all. Help!

Old 07-09-2005, 10:03 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Clutch in? out? Engine running? off? Any noises? Last fluid change? Milage? Tow? Haul?

Sorry, but need more info and we will try our best to help.

Adrianspeeder

Old 07-10-2005, 10:57 PM
More info would be very helpful but just to take a stab at it, the truck has probably got a lot of miles on it and the shift linkage is probably worn. If the pins and stuff in the top of the tranny get worn or work thier way out then I could see how they might bind the shifter up. A worse scenario would be something interal to the trans. Could be a broken shift fork or something.

More info and good luck.

Old 07-11-2005, 09:52 AM
Truck has 115,000 miles on it. It has had regular maintenance since I bought it--last serviced in March of this year. The gear shift won't move at all, whether the engine is running or not, whether the clutch is in or out. We tried rocking the truck and still can't budge it.

Looks like it's time to call in the professionals.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 07-11-2005, 07:59 PM
That sounds like a linkage problem. I would try to pull the top off the tranny and see if I could tell what was binding it. I haven't done one in a really long time so I really can't give you any direction as to how to do it but any chilton or haynes manual should probably give you that info.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you get it taken care of.

Old 07-11-2005, 09:37 PM
Suspended
when you start your truck...is the clutch in? I had this thought your clutch rod that comects to your pedal maybe binding...Iwas thinking the clutch was locked on to the fly wheal and not allowing you to change gears......poss throw out bearing as well...under the tranmisson check the drain/fill plug to see if ithe fluid level is correct. you should be albe to manualy move the gears if you disconect the shifter.

Last edited by cyclone vampire; 07-11-2005 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:19 AM
Yes, I have to put the clutch in to start the truck. Mechanic thinks the transmission may have failed completely but he won't know till I can get it towed up to him. This is very, very scary.

SuSuBelle

Old 07-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Also, when I put the clutch in and take the emergency brake off, the truck will roll back, which suggests to me that the problem isn't the clutch per se, right?

SSB

Old 07-12-2005, 02:16 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You most likely have the M5OD-R2 tranny. It is a relatively easy tranny to service. The shift forks are in the cover and once the cover is off you can see into the tranny. It may be a simple case of over extending the shift lever locking the lever in the second gear position. Try removing the lower shift lever, if it is stuck odds are that is what happened.

regards

JMC

Quick Reply: 1995 F150 4x4 manual transmission--can't get it out of 2nd gear