4R100 Rebuilt again

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4R100 Rebuilt again

I hae a 200 f150 with 68K miles. Ford put a rebuilt tranny in at 35K, and last weekend I had a complete rebuild. It seems the TC went out, and the resulting junk took out the rest of the tranny... Because Ford paid for the first rebuild, it was not covered under warranty.

Is this normal? I was towing a small 5th wheel (4,500#) with the OD locked out at the time. Seems to me that 35K per tranny is a bit lame. Truck has a 5.4, if that matters at all.

What am I doing wrong?

Old 06-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Some questions.

Is there a trans cooler being run?
Is the trans temp running to high?

I tow 5000 with a 4.6/ 4r70w/ 3.55 combination in a 5400 lbs Screw.
Larger radiator, two coolers in line, syn blend Mercon V, and watch the temp closely.
Some times, one has bad luck.

Old 06-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Unless I am mistaken, I think all of the V8s have an auxillary Transmission cooler. Only the V6's run through the radiator cooler alone.

Well, your truck should be able to pull that weight. Unless you had it loaded FULL of junk I think you were well with in the weight rating.

{ If you have a Harley Davidson model, Your weight rating is only 4000 pounds, But Im assuming that its not.}

You never stated exactly what kind of a truck you have, But besides the Harley models, Your 5.4 auto should have a towing capacity of at least 7000 pounds.

There are alot of things that could be killing your tranny...

1. I know Arizona is hotter then hell and pretty mountanous in some areas, if your doing the full 70-75 mph you might want to try 60.

2. Its a 5th wheel which will cause alot more wind resistance, again slower speeds will help.

3. Dont use the speed control while towing.

4. Keep the tranny serviced regularly.

I DO NOT think that this tranny failure is your fault though....

I am not very {auto-tranny} savy, but I dont think your torque converter should be the first thing to go out when your tranny is over heating?

I have a 2004 and my torque converter went out over the winter. {It started making funny rubbing noises at low speeds about february and finally in May it made a bunch of "ugly sounds" when I took the boat to the lake for the first time.}

At 5600 miles Ford had to rebuild the tranny and replace the Torque Converter, Valve Assembly, Fluid Pump, and The radiator it self {cooler was plugged with metal}.

I Pulled my boat once with my new truck before it started having probs. About 260 miles at 60 mph through Very Flat Nebraska.

It only weighs 3200 pounds? Ford tried to tell me that even though my truck has a towing capacity is 5500 pounds, It isnt really made for pulling?

I was like, What a shame, I guess I will be getting a new tranny every 5000 miles then????

That will work for me, but not you.

Im afraid that at 68000 miles, Ford has no reason to fix your vehicle under warranty.

Sorry, but Im thinking they were making some crap torque converters back in 2003/2004.

What exactly happened to your tranny the first time it was rebuilt? just curious.

Last edited by Podunk; 06-10-2005 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:34 AM
The problems with these trucks in general seems to be worst on the 99-01 units. 99-01 units mostly just had an auxilary cooler (that is known the have problems itself) Ford put out a tsb on it saying to replace that cooler and to install a radiator with a cooler in it as well. The 00 and 01 trucks seem to have alot of pcm problems. Ford updated the converters for 02 as well. The pre 02 multiplate converters are all crap. The 02 up have improved a bit and the 04's are the best you can get at the moment from the dealer.
Alan

Old 06-11-2005, 10:40 AM
My trailer was pretty light. The last time it was on the scales it was under 4000 lbs.

Full, loaded, whatever, GVR of the trailer is under 6000 lbs.

Truck is a F150, but it has the heavier suspension & transmission, that came in the package with the CNG conversion. CNG tank, etc. adds about 500 lbs.

>>>There are alot of things that could be killing your tranny...

On the flat I tend to go about 75, hills, about 65. I was coming down a hill when the tranny failed. Suddenly it was if I had taken it out of gear. It was good that the brakes on truck & trailer were OK, otherwise it would have been ugly. Temp was about 90 at the start of my trip, and 70 ish. when I broke it.

I usually use the speed control on flat, but on this trip, it was disabled. It has not been fixed yet from the recall.

Although I checked the fluid, the tranny had about 34K on it with the same oil.

>>>I DO NOT think that this tranny failure is your fault though....
(I'll keep this in, it makes me feel good)

>>> At 5600 miles Ford had to rebuild the tranny and replace the Torque Converter, Valve Assembly, Fluid Pump, and The radiator it self {cooler was plugged with metal}.

My first was at 35,000 miles. It was shifting a bit rough, and the OD light was flashing. Ford fixed it without question.

My truck isn't made for pulling. What is it for then? I towed this trailer with a T-100 3.0L V-6 before I got the Ford. Although slow on the uphill, it never left me. I can't afford a new tranny every 35K.

The guy at the tranny shop said he put in a more robust converter, as well as heavier clutches?

I still think I should be on the original transmission at 68K mi.

Old 06-11-2005, 10:43 AM
[QUOTE=Bluegrass]Some questions.

Is the trans temp running to high?

There is a factory cooler on it. I have no temp sensor on the tranny. I sold the trailer, should I still pay close attention to the temp?

Quick Reply: 4R100 Rebuilt again