5 Speed tough to shift

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 02:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 Speed tough to shift

I've got a 1995 F-150, 5 speed manual and it's always been a little hard to shift. Sometimes it's fine, but sometimes it's a little hard to get it into gear. Especially first after it's been sitting idling for a while, like at a red light and I've had it out of gear or shift to 1st when it's time to go instead of right when I stop.

Is this something I should worry about or is this just how these are? I think it actually has a mazda transmission.

Thanks

Last edited by 95XL; 05-11-2005 at 02:36 AM.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:17 AM
Thats really how that hare. I had a 5 speed in my 88 and now my 2000, they shift the same - hard.

You can change the fluid with some synchromesh (it can be purchased at autozene for about 3.99 to 4.99 a bottle and takes almost 4 to fille it up)

this will help make the shifting smooth, atleast it did for my 2000.

You may double clutch or pump the clutch a few times when at the light - that helps for me trying to get it back in first....or often, I have been putting it into second to sync the gears, and then it slips right into first really easy..

I don't know of many cars that upshift very easily from second to first while moving. my subaru wrx has about a 1.5inch throw on the short shift 5 speed, and it won't go into first (from second) very easily unless my speed is around 5 - 10mph. any other speeds and I really have to force it, and that car has 6,000 miles on it.

Old 05-12-2005, 11:43 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Yes, you have the Mazda M5OD tranny. It is not good to shove it right into first after idleing in neutral. I usually push the clutch in wait 3 seconds. Then it slips right in.

Adrianspeeder

Old 05-12-2005, 04:15 PM
I've found that the best thing at a stop (and from neutral) is to do a quick and light bump at second gear and then push it into first.

Old 05-12-2005, 05:54 PM
Thanks guys. Glad to know that they're just that way. I've noticed that it is easier to get back to first after moving it around a bit before hand.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-16-2005, 06:06 PM
That's really how they are????? There is nothing wrong with your trans. and the problem as you decribe it is not normal for these trucks or any other. Try shifting into first while rolling slowly, if it goes in easy, and I'll bet that it does, then the problem is a worn concentric slave cylinder. As they get older they accumulate dirt and grime and when you press the clutch pedal down they don't fully disengage the clutch. Ford has upgraded this part with a protective sheath to keep the crud out, as this is a common occurance with these trucks and others with this type of slave cylinder. You should'nt have to do any fancy footwork to get your truck to go into first gear with ease. Ford makes a tool for measuring the travel of the throwout bearing when you depress the clutch, they can also give you the measurment of the required travel to insure that the clutch is disengaging.

Old 05-16-2005, 06:43 PM
how do you adjust the clutch, if possible. my pedal has about .75" of free play at the top.

Old 05-16-2005, 10:55 PM
There is no adjustment except to insure that it is properly serviced and bled.

Old 05-17-2005, 02:59 PM
The best thing I ever did for my 5-sp was switch to Red Line D4-ATF fluid. You've got to drive it for a while before you feel the difference, but it made shifting virtually effortless . . .

Old 05-18-2005, 05:56 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Bob, my understanding is that when idleing in neutral then pushing the clutch in to shift to first is that the clutch and forward part of the tranny is still spinning for a moment. Waiting two or three seconds allows these parts to stop and first to slip right in without the syncros having to work.

Your thoughts,

Adrianspeeder

Old 05-18-2005, 10:09 PM
AdrianSpeedmiester, I agree whole heartedly, one should never force a trans. into gear, and for the reason you state, things are still spinning. My point was to convey that if the trans. is difficult to shift into first and requires unusual measures to get it to do so, then something is wrong. For some odd reason the M5OD seems to have taken a bad rap over the years, perhaps because it's a Mazda trans. Difficulties shifting into first at a stop, especially when cold, is a common complaint. I personally have seen perfectly good M5ODs completely rebuilt because shifting problems were misdiagnosed. A complete rebuild on one of these runs in the neighborhood of 1500 to 1700 bucks. The simple truth is that the M5OD is a dandy trans. when used within it capability - it's a light duty trans. Most shifting problems are the result of lack of service, incorrect fluid and the finicky, original equipment concentric slave cylinder. Your specific point, is well taken, and I don't disagree.

Quick Reply: 5 Speed tough to shift