M5OD Pilot Bearing Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 10:28 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
M5OD Pilot Bearing Question

Has anybody used a solid bushing in place of the Pilot bearing? I bought a clutch kit and it came with a solid bushing. It is a LUK kit made for Car Quest.

JMC

Old 05-03-2005, 01:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the pilot bearing on these trucks was just a bushing that wore over time. When I did a friends clutch it was an early 97 and we bulled the bushing and replaced with a new one and shoved some grease in there....that was 4 years ago.

Old 05-03-2005, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think I can help much but when I bought the Centerforce it didn't come with a pilot bearing. I picked up an OE one at the dealership. I didn't do the clutch install myself, but my mechanic opted not to change the pilot bearing.

If you need some spare parts, I'll sell you the OE bearing cheap. I also have a throw out bearing that I got from Centerforce that didn't get used because it was part of the slave cylinder assembley.

Old 05-03-2005, 06:15 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Wittom,

Thanks for the offer. My buddy at carquest here in town can get me one for $15.00. It is an OEM style bearing. I called LUK Clutches and their help line informed me that they supply needle bearings with their kit. CarQuest uses a LUK pressure plate and clutch disk but not their bearing. They buy a bushing and include that in the kit. I am just fishing for a reason not to use the bushing.

JMC

Old 05-03-2005, 06:26 PM
we use a bushing on the race car with the lenco in it...when a pilot "bearing" fails @ 8500..it makes a mess(been there done that)..so stay away from bearings...bush it!...zap!

Old 05-03-2005, 09:29 PM
The bushings are usually a hard bronze OILITE bushing. I am partial to the self lubricating oil impregnated bushings myself. They are zero maintanence and have no moving parts.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: M5OD Pilot Bearing Question