couple ?'s for my tranny

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
couple ?'s for my tranny

i have some knowledge about trannies and all that, but how do i find which tranny i have in my truck. Its a 1992 F150 straight six with a 5 speed 4wd. My main problem is when i go to downshift, if the engine has any rps behind it it grinds the gears and tried to throw it out of gear. oh and reverse is pretty much toast now, bro borrowed it and it got worse. any help please? thanks Curt

Old 05-03-2005, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say you have a clutch problem. It could be a syncro problem but I doubt it. The clutch is probably toast or the slave cylinder is not dissengauging the clutch fully. Either way, I would start looking in the clutch department. With a 92 I'm sure it has some miles on it and may have the original clutch but I'm sure you would have a better idea on that one. Generally when the clutch is about gone the first thing that happens is slippage followed by difficulty getting it into low and reverse.

Good luck.

Old 05-03-2005, 09:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah i'd go with what wvtrucker typed...when a clutch wont FULLY disengage its bad news...save the gears...zap!

Quick Reply: couple ?'s for my tranny