transmission fluid change question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission fluid change question

I am getting ready to change my transmission fluid by dropping the pan and also draining the torque converter on my 1997 4.6L Scab 4X4 95xxx miles. I bought this truck used so I am not sure what fluid is in there currently, but was wondering which I should replace it with. Mercon or Mercon V? Also, if I change it over to Mercon V, will any fluid trapped in the cooler harm the Mercon V if the original fluid was plain Mercon? I have heard you aren't supposed to mix them and wasn't sure. Also, any brand preferred for these transmissions over another? Thanks in advance.
Kurt

Old 03-25-2005, 03:38 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
It tells you on the dip stick what fluid to use.
Do the pan and filter job, drain the convertor, fill the pan with about 6 ot 8 qts, then remove the return line start the engine and let it pump into a container untill you see the clean fluid come out while keeping the pan filled with enough fluid.
This will be the best way to tell that you have all the old fluid out but can waist a quart or two.
I have no drain plug in my convertor and have to do it this way.
The local trans shop also does it this way where they have to.

Old 03-25-2005, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It says to use just standard mercon. Would I be best to stick with it or go ahead and changeover to mercon V? I do get some slight torque converter shutter sometimes. Would mercon V take care of that? Thanks for the help.
Kurt

Old 03-25-2005, 09:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford recommends MERCON V for all years of 4R70W to eliminate shudder.

Quick Reply: transmission fluid change question