What is the difference in these trannys??

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the difference in these trannys??

I believe that the 4r70w is a very common transmission in these F-150s, and the "w" stands for wide. I assume that means wide gear ratio as would be necessary for getting these heavy trucks moving.

My question is: what is the difference between this tranny and the 4r70E model -- found in some, but not all Crown Vics? I think both of these trannys are used in the Crown Vic and was wondering what the difference was.

thanks

enb

Old 03-03-2005, 12:17 PM
Here's a break-down of the (new) names of these trannies:

4R70W:
4 - Four-gear
R - Rear-wheel drive
70 - 700 lb-ft torque capacity
W - Wide gear ratio

4R70E:
4 - Four-gear
R - Rear-wheel drive
70 - 700 lb-ft torque capacity
E - Electronic

From my understanding the difference in these transmissions is that the crown vics with 4R70E (or AODE, "Automatic OverDrive Electronic") transmission is the same case but different gearing ratios (not wide).

This same breakdown applies to other trannies as well...

4R75W (2004+ models)
4 - Four-gear
R - Rear-wheel drive
75 - 750 lb-ft torque capacity
W - Wide gearing

4R100 (Lightnings, same as E4OD, "Electronic 4-gear OverDrive")
4 - Four-gear
R - Rear-wheel drive
100 - 1000 lb-ft torque capacity

M5OD is still the old-style name, though, which just means Manual 5-gear OverDrive.

Last edited by ucfperspicere; 03-03-2005 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:20 PM
Externally the largest difference between a 4r70(aod/e) and a 4r70w is that the 4r70w has a larger output shaft bushing and requires a matching yoke. Internally the biggest change is gear ratio.
Alan

Old 03-03-2005, 03:04 PM
Thank you for the info.

enb

Old 01-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Ive done some searching, this is the closest thred i can find to what im looking for... and i still dont have an answer... will this Transmission work? i have a 2001 f150 w/ the 4.6L

Old 01-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
If you have a 2 wheel drive and don't use a police version of the Vic transmission then yes, it will work. If you have a 4 wheel drive then absolutely no.

There are different lengths of this transmission in cars and the police cars for one have a longer tailshaft and extension housing than your truck if it's a 2 wheel drive. The 4 wheel drive vehicles have a totally different tailshaft and extension housing.

The car transmission will also shift differently than your truck transmission will due to valve body and accumulator spring differences. If it's not acceptable after you do it then your only options are to get the right valve body and accumulator spring setup for your truck installed or have the PCM on your truck reprogrammed by an aftermarket performance tuner with SCT software and a WHOLE lot of experience.

Unless we can get all of the info on both your truck and the transmission you are thinking about putting into it then it's just not really possible to say if it will even fit. Even if it does fit, it's not possible to say for sure how it will shift.

Darrin

Quick Reply: What is the difference in these trannys??