? for tranny guru's

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ? for tranny guru's

I am having what feels like intermittent slippage when taking off from a stop. The rpm's have to build up some before the truck starts moving and then there is usually a noticeable clunk when the drive kicks in. I also get a similar clunk (similar to the coast clutch clunk but a lot harder) when driving at low speed and coasting. Once I get moving everything is fine except for an occasional harsh upshift. The fluid is not burnt and was flushed at the end of Oct. at which time I also removed the inner,lower spring of the 1-2 accum. to soften the 1-2 shift a little (I have the FTVB and 4r70w). This problem started about 3 weeks ago and seems to be happenig more frequently.
Could I have a broken spring for the 1-2 accum causing these symptoms? Bad torque converter? I have noticed a more noticeable high pitched whine after the trans warms up (started back in the summer) at certain speeds (45mph and 60mph) also. Any advice is appreciated.

Edit: 88k miles on the truck, 5k miles since trans flush/filter

HiO

Last edited by HiOSilver'01; 01-31-2005 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:49 PM
Removing the lower spring will firm the shift not soften it. If you remove it with the wrong upper spring you will cause a problem similar to which you are having. You need the brown spring on the top if you are not using a lower spring. Put the spring back in. Actually you should have 2 lower springs and 1 upper.
Alan

Old 02-01-2005, 08:51 PM
Alan,
I may have put the 1-2 accum. springs in the wrong places when I originally installed the FTVB. The instruction sheet that came with the FTVB says to put the two red springs into the top of the piston and the green spring below followed by the retainer and snap ring. If my memory is correct when I took the springs out the last time they came out with the retainer and the piston stayed in place. So I may have had them reversed and now the upper spring may possibly be broken??
Any way, it looks like this weekend I will have some decent weather to drop the pan and double check everything.

Can anyone tell me which original springs went in which place. I will probably reinstall those while I am at it.

This is the thread where I read about removing the inner red spring to soften the 1-2 shift.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=127453

HiO

Quick Reply: ? for tranny guru's