transmission or what

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question transmission or what

Help,
I have a 2004 f150 FX4 with approx. 8500 miles. I have had it back to the dealer twice for the same thing with no resuts. On ocassion, a loud grinding metal to metal noise that incudes a banging thump coming from the transmission area. As I said, this only occurs at random intervals. Sometimes 3 or 4 times a day or it may go a week between occurances. The dealership tells me that for them to locate problem, it must be acting up when Ibring it in. Otherwise they suggest waiting until the problem gets worse. I have a problem with that. Any Suggestions?
thanx
bud

Old 01-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you ever get this fixed? Mine started making grinding sounds before the holiday right before I took it in for 15k maintenance. When I took it in I mentioned it and after two days they couldn't get it to repeat. They told me the same thing, unless it's making the sound they can't troubleshoot it.

I sounds like it's coming from my front left tire, but braking doesn't make any noises. Sometimes it will make the noise for a few seconds then go away, then kick in again a few miles later.. Sometimes it won't do it for days. Twice over the past 3 days it has done it for at least 30 seconds to a minute. I pulled off the road each time and as I made the turning motion and slowed down I could hear a low moaning sound from what I'm guessing is the trans or transfer case, a few clunking sounds and then it would stop making the noise... Could part of the 4x4 system being trying to engage?

Dave

Quick Reply: transmission or what