Dumb question of the week, about Troyer Trans Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 11:36 PM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Dumb question of the week, about Troyer Trans Cooler

Well, I go it installed. This install was not as easy as I thought it would be. I had to fabricate a bracket in front of the air conditioner condenser and mount the cooler to it as a pusher. It's a real nice install. I took my time, did a good job and it looks factory.

Now heres my dumb question.

How do I test it to make sure the temp sensor is working?

I tested the fan before the install and it worked good. Also checked the wiring to be sure it runs as a pusher since the fan is towards the front of the truck.
It should only cycle when the trans fluid get hot enough to turn it on and that only happens when it is under load which puts me in the drivers seat. So how do I check to make sure the switch is good?

Any and all suggestions are welcome...

Old 06-01-2004, 08:25 AM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I got my answer this weekend.
I am kind of surprised at how often the fan does come on. I towed my trailer for about 80 miles in mild weather and the fan was on every time I stopped. What is surprising is the fan also was on several times when I was not towing and just sitting idle. The transmission fluid apparently gets above 180 degrees much more often then I thought. May just be that this is a VERY valuable modification.
Just of note, I did not use a relay since one did not come with the kit but several times the fan was on after I turned off the engine. The fan runs until the fluid is cooled all the way down to the temp switch and takes about 30 to 45 seconds. I don't think this drawls much current but I am going to add a relay switched from an ignition activated source anyway. I'll probably use the same source that I am using for the duel electric fans.

Quick Reply: Dumb question of the week, about Troyer Trans Cooler