trans shudder

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trans shudder

I have a friend who has a 98 expedition that just started to shudder between gear changes. Is there a cheap fix for this,such as an additive, or does it require a rebuild.

Old 02-06-2004, 12:01 PM
Seriously, that is a fairly common problem on the AODE/4R70W. 9 out of 10 times I get that complaint(usually in the lincoln TC) a simple fluid drain from the pan and converter, along with a filter change will clean it up. Not trying to get your hopes up, but it's worth a shot.

-Jim

Old 02-10-2004, 05:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Which transmission is in the Expedition?

-Don

Old 02-10-2004, 06:08 PM
I've been having a symilar problem of shuttering between gear changes, and also an occational pop that sounds kind of like a peice of sheet metal being twisted. Just started all of a sudden. Would changing the fluid and filter really take care of the problem that fast?

97 f150 scab
4.6 auto v8

Old 02-10-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by devildog86
Would changing the fluid and filter really take care of the problem that fast?
With the 4R70W, it will. Further more, your transmission would have been filled with Mercon from the factory. In 1998, Ford introduced Mercon V, a synthetic blend, to eliminate torque converter shudder. You should switch to Mercon V by draining the pan and torque converter. The 1997 4R70W torque converter has a drain plug to make things easier.

Search google for "torque converter sudder" and you'll find thorough explainations of what's happening.

Fluid change how-to: http://members.shaw.ca/pferlow/transmission_oil.htm

The 5.4L Expedition has a 4R100. The 4.6L uses a 4R70W. The 4R100 uses regular Mercon fluid.

Old 02-10-2004, 10:48 PM
I had this same problem with my 97' 4.6 transmission @ 100k. I took it to the dealer for a simple transmission fluid change/service and they recommended a "Power Flush" and fluid/filter change. This is recommended by Ford for any shuddering problems. The Power Flush runs a cleaner and conditioner thought the transmission and torque converter. It really did the job. It now shifts like it is brand new. I did not realize just how bad it was shifting until I had this work done. I have had just the fluid/filter changed before but never really noticed much change in transmission operation.

Old 02-11-2004, 07:53 AM
well, my friend took his expedition to the ford dealership yesterday and had it checked out. they found out that it had a bad coil. he is going to put a new coil on and see if that will stop the problem. If it don,t he has only about 200 miles before the extended warranty runs out on the powertrain. We'll see what happens after the coil change, and i'll tell ya what happens. Thank's for the help.

Old 02-11-2004, 10:42 AM
By grace,

How much was the power flush service from a dealer?

Old 02-11-2004, 11:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

Mine has shuddered since about 50k, and I'm at 105k now. A fluid flush has helped a bit, but it still does it from time to time. Especially if I have to hit the gas above 40mph, after coasting down from speed. Or after accelerating slowly from a stop and punching the gas near a shift point. Nothing seems to have solved it completely. I've had about 4 or 5 flushes since 24k. My truck seems to burn fluid quickly.,,,,98

Old 02-11-2004, 02:34 PM
pop

O.K. so after yall's advice I'm going to take it to the dealer and get them to flush my tranny. But does anyone know why I'm getting a random popping noise? It seems it is coming from the bottom of the engine where the tranny is, and I can feel it through the petal. it kind of sounds like a sardine can being twisted and flexed, like thin metal being hit or twisted or somthing. My CEL is on, but I dont feel like spending another 90 bucks at the dealer for them to tell me that i just need to flush my tranny. This whole thing has got me real upset. My poor ol ford

Old 02-11-2004, 07:44 PM
They charged me $130 for parts and labor. That's not bad. I am not sure which mercon they used but, I assume that it's the non-synthetic type at $1.5 per unit. Good luck on the flush. All I know is that it helped my problem.

Old 02-12-2004, 01:21 PM
Lubeguard...

buy it...use it!

It fixed my tranny shudder for two years before it started to reappear. Will do a flush and fill and add Lubeguard again.

Old 02-12-2004, 10:33 PM
I have the 4r100 and it is shuddering bad. Just had the fluid changed in the tranny and tourque converter last saturday. Mechanic also put in some kind of "Shudder be gone" fluid in the tourque converter. It is still doing just as much as before. Do I need a new tourque converter now???

Old 02-18-2004, 08:14 PM
Identical Issue / Can I change it?

All these responses are very interesting and useful. I have a 4.6L 4x4 automatic, 49,000 mi. that is shuttering in different gears. It started shuttering in OD, now it is also shuttering between 2nd and 3rd. Can I get an additive and transmission fluid/filter and do this myself?? I have never changed this trucks transmission fluid/filter before. I have in many of my past vehicles. Or do I need this power flush thing?? Please let me know. Thank you!

Old 02-19-2004, 12:47 PM
Re: Identical Issue / Can I change it?

Originally posted by Droftruck
All these responses are very interesting and useful. I have a 4.6L 4x4 automatic, 49,000 mi. that is shuttering in different gears. It started shuttering in OD, now it is also shuttering between 2nd and 3rd. Can I get an additive and transmission fluid/filter and do this myself?? I have never changed this trucks transmission fluid/filter before. I have in many of my past vehicles. Or do I need this power flush thing?? Please let me know. Thank you!
It's a fairly simple task and shouldn't be any more difficult than any other fluid service you've done in the past. First, pull the rubber grommet out from the bottom of the bell. turn the motor over until you see a pipe plug in the converter with a 7/16 head on it and take it out. Second, pull the pan to get access to the filter and remove it too. You shouldn't need any additives but if you do, Lube Guard/ Dr. Tranny makes some killer stuff.

-Jim

Quick Reply: trans shudder