Think my E40D just blew a seal. Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think my E40D just blew a seal. Help

Just got back from a miserable weekend of camping. 100+ 90% humidity and I was backing my 5500 lb trailer with my 93 2wd 302 E40D F150 up my 200 ft 45 degree drive for the second time only and when I finally got it to the top by flooring it, I have a nice little puddle under my convertor area. Haven't started it back up yet as I thought I'd let it cool a bit, but I believe I lost the front pump seal or convertor seal. Any Ideas or suggs. what it is? It has 135K miles and I just went through the engine 3 K ago.

In the process of getting rid of the steep drive, but just not quick enough.

I just flushed the tranny fluid 3 K ago to get rid of the shuddering convertor lock up. It's been pulling great, but I know that backing the trailer up my drive is abusing this truck. I usually use my 94' 4wd Explorer that I put in low so I have the extra torque and push it up, but got lazy and didn't want to unhook it to swap.

I really want to fix it the most reasonable way as I'm buying a F250/350 diesel in the next year or so.

I'm open to yall's opinion please. While I have it out should I change the convertor and just put a seal into it?

Thanks as always.....

Phil

F.Y.I. I posted on Flatratetech as well. Thanks.

Old 07-06-2003, 10:06 PM
Now I'm puzzled, I waited till it cooled off and started it back up, no leak?? Could I have just overheated it and with the incline it caused it to leak under excessive pressure? I didn't look underneath real good, but is there a vent of some sort that it could have came out?

Old 07-11-2003, 06:03 PM
Trans fluid expands with heat. Depending upon how hot it was would dictate how much it expanded and possibly leaked out the vent.

Before you do this again, I suggest installing a trans temp gauge and possibly a cooler, if gauge reading indicate you need more cooling.

Tony

Quick Reply: Think my E40D just blew a seal. Help