Selection...What Fluid Type???

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 03:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Selection...What Fluid Type???

I've been running Amsoil ATF in my truck for the past 30,000 miles no problems at all. Actually noticed no difference from stock. But now I'm towing a trailer. Is the universal, multi-purpose fluids like this good to go, or would you switch back to a true, straight MERCON V (or MERCON or what ever my truck takes...you know what I mean )

Old 06-07-2007, 08:11 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Merc V is fine unless you want to use one of the premiums such as Amsoil, etc.

As long as the manufacturer specs it as Merc V capable, it will be fine.

Steve

Old 06-07-2007, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I saw some fluid that says it exceeds the Merc III and is suitable for Merc V..

So you are saying that a manufacturer that says it is suitable for several types is ok to use? We dont need to use the specific straight Merc V??

Old 06-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think Steve misunderstood my question completely, but yes, most of the "universal" fluids (like Amsoil ATF) claim to exceed the specs of what ever the manual calls for. I've been using it this long with no problems, but never with any real abuse on the tranny like now. Kinda why I asked my question.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Yes, it'll be fine. "Universal" ATF's are almost always at minimum of mercV compatible, and typically exceed it.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:24 AM
Use straight Mercon V or better, whatever is available. Around here, all I usually find is Motorcraft at the dealer so I pick it up there (gotta get my filter from there anyways). Only thing is, with towing, you'll have to or should change it more often if you're pulling all the time.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:57 AM
so you are saying NOT to use the multi level stuff? Like I said before, I found Valvoline that exceeded Mercon III and is suitable to Mercon V.. So dont recommend it?

Old 06-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Galaxy
I've been running Amsoil ATF in my truck for the past 30,000 miles no problems at all. Actually noticed no difference from stock. But now I'm towing a trailer. Is the universal, multi-purpose fluids like this good to go, or would you switch back to a true, straight MERCON V (or MERCON or what ever my truck takes...you know what I mean )

Well, if Amsoil is as good as everyone thinks it is, I don't know why you would need to change to a "straight" Mercon V or whatever.

If it was that important, the Mercon V should have always been in their anyways, right ?

How many miles are on your beast and how often do you change your tranny fluid ? Just curious - I just passed 66,000 and realized that I am overdue (I like to change mine every 30K or so, even though it always looks fine when I have changed it, in all 3 trucks...)

BTW - Nice truck !! I've "known" you for several years, but today is the first time I've looked in your gallery.... I miss my '01 Supercrew......

Quick Reply: Selection...What Fluid Type???