4r100 build up for 750 hp fly.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4r100 build up for 750 hp fly.

I am building up my 03 hd to about 700-750 hp fly and need to know what the 4r100 will need as far as internals to build it to support this hp. Brand of parts and who has them would be much appreciated as well.
Hoping factorytech will chime in as well. thanks in advance for all your inputs.

Old 02-01-2003, 04:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The weak link is the intermediate clutch, but if you're gonna do that, there are a few other things that are pretty easy and not too expensive to do while you have it opened up.
First, for the intermediates, you want to change to Raybestos Blue Plate specials, they're a direct replacement, and they're almost the only way to upgrade the intermediate plates. In all of the other clutches, you can add friction surface area by adding more plates, but the intermediate is configured in such a way that is is hard to do, but the Blues are pretty much the only plates you get that are a serious upgrade without going with a single sided plate, which is big money, but doable if you want to spend the money. The Blues are very hard to find,you need 3 of them and 3 steels.
Also on the intermediate, you can replace the sprag with a 45 element sprag that's a pretty good upgrade and only costs about $60. The part is from Borg-Warner, you can get it from transtar if you have an account (they don't sell to the general public, but most any transmission shop can get you one, or I sell them for $50)
On the forward clutch, also use the Raybestos Blues, and throw out the wavy plate spring and replace it with an extra friction element, this will make it shift harder, but the extra clutch surface will hold up much better,
On the Direct Clutch, replace the intermediate brake drum with the part from the diesel, F81Z-7D044-BA, this will let you get an extra friction in there, or you can get a kit I sell that allows you to get 8 frictions in it, full race plates, a 100% increase in total clutch surface. If you don't want to go that way, you can put 5 Blues in it instead.

The OD clutch can be upgraded to a 4 plate stack, this is a part I make, I get $100 for it.
The coast clutch can be upgraded to a ball bearing unit instead of the plastic thrust washer, a major upgrade, and also allows you another friction elelment in that clutch.
The reverse clutch can be changed to a 6 plate unit from 5 by swapping the pressure plate from a diesel tranny, a direct swap

And for control, A Factory Tech Accumulator.

I also sent you an e-mail that is this plus some other notes about pricing that they don't like me to post on their board.

G

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-01-2003, 04:05 AM
Factorytech,

Thank you so very much for the info..YOu have covered about everything I was looking for..Thanks again for your inputs. They are very much appreciated. I will more than likely be talking to you about this in the future....

Old 02-03-2003, 04:57 AM
FT please send me your email address and your website...ave talked to you before and followed your postings...

Old 02-03-2003, 09:29 PM
ecm747x--Please post when you are going to do this 700hp engine V10 or Diesel????

I have never seen a 700hp built truck engine before, I sure would like to drool ove rsomething like that...

Old 02-13-2003, 12:54 AM
Mach1,

I am planning on completing this around April 15th. I have on 03 HD. I am getting a built up short block. Is good to 850 HP. Kenne Bell S/C, built tranny and a few other bolt ons to help the airlow and exhaust at this HP.
Now, Under race config, I will have to run 104.5 octane under standard day conditions. Add temp and humidity, I will have to go a little higher. Running 21.5 psi of boost I should be in the the 522 rwhp area. Under 92 octane I am not sure yet. I am not sure what boost I will run at for 92. Still waiting on some #s and have the chip for it as well. I Will get the dyno to see what my output will be. I won't hit 700 hp with 21.5, but will be near 660 Hp. at the fly Depending on temps and such.
I will stop at that so I can still use the truck on trips and such. I will just have to take the race pullys off and put the smaller lower and bigger upper back on for 92 octane.
Like I said this will be my strip setup. Wanted the bottom end built up to over 750 so I don't have to worry too much on throwing a rod. The tranny is near its limit stock. 4r100 is rated at 1000 ft lbs or torque. With a lightning and HD near 450, and multiply that X2 for the torque through the converter, you are at 900 ft. lbs stock. Not much of a margine to play with. And as Factory tech said, the intermediates are a week link, and I would fry those for sure with a stock tranny even runing a 92 octane program.
I will have pics of the project and post them when done. I already have the blower ordered and will be here in the first week of march. I will have the shortblock sent at the same time. Once I get a confirmed date on shipping I will talk to Greg about getting his Monster box. Should be one fast HD that should keep up, and pass most Lightnings, not heavily modded, when done.

Quick Reply: 4r100 build up for 750 hp fly.