Towing & Hauling

Geeky's Tow report F-150 Double Post

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geeky's Tow report F-150 Double Post

Well we just got back from a 400mi. round trip Albuquerque to Red River, NM. My tranny temp hit 180 at one point on the way up and hit 190 on the last hill (within 10 miles from home.) I guess I need to figure out what my next step is. Bigger aux. Trans cooler, Synth fluid, deeper pan, fan or aux cooler. I had planned on taking some of the tougher routes in CO (Silverton-Ouray) this summer so I guess I need to do more. BTW handling and braking were fine and I actually went to OD on the long declines and hit 70! I know a lot of folks would say that is too fast but this was on the interstate and it just felt right. I was by no means pushing it, I really felt in control at all times. Even when the simi’s passed at 80+.

My long range plan is to upgrade the truck but we are talking 2 years or so. So for now……

BTW I can't figure out how to edit my plofile so here is some of it:

2000 F-150 4X2 Supercab SB 5.4L 3:55ls T red

Hellwig rear, Mech tranny temp gauge in pan, Tekonsia Prodigy brake controller, Reese 15K ez slide

1994 Kit Road Ranger 21FF 5ver
6500# GVWR, actual weight-5,000# loaded to camp

Old 05-31-2002, 12:04 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To edit your profile, click on the USER CP button at the top.

RP

Old 05-31-2002, 08:39 PM
What really gets the tranny hot is when the tq converter is unlocked, say when towing up a hill in 2nd. 180 isn't bad. 190 isn't really either, but close. 220 or more and you should let it cool and change fluid when you can. Summit racing sells a cooler with a built on fan that you could add to your rig. Some say synthetic fluid runs cooler too. Having your sending unit in the pan is an OK spot. You won't see much difference in another location except the line out to the cooler. That will be higher. Enjoy Ouray/Silverton. That is one heck of a nice place to be.

Old 06-01-2002, 11:31 PM
Hi geeky, thanks for the info, I will be heading out June 12 for a 3 week trip through the maritime provinces up here in Canada. Our trucks are similar and I also have a 21' 5v'er with a GVW of 4800#. Should be a learning experience for me, it will be my first trip with this truck, previously pulled it with a 98 with the 4.2 V6 but my longest trip was 600 miles round trip. Most of my pulling has been short hauls to the campground but this trip should put on over 3000 miles. Got my fingers crossed everything goes well, put new tires on the trailer and had the brakes all checked out and the bearings packed so she is roadworthy. What exactly is the hellwig and how does it help, thanks.

Old 06-02-2002, 04:13 AM
George Eh, I can tell you that I am still concerned about the tranny temp. I will be crawling under to make sure the aux cooler is getting airflow. When I installed the lower 4X4 valence for the tow hooks there was this big rubber piece that didn't fit quite right. I am going to make sure I didn't block it. I just feel I need more control over that temp so I will probably get a better cooler with a fan.

I can't tell you specifically what the Hellwig rear anti-sway bar does in a towing situation. I know it does add some weight but then so does my Cervini's hood. You can check out their web page here.

Hellwig

Old 06-02-2002, 03:53 PM
Geeky, 180 - 190 is fine for ATF. I wouldn't worry unless you get over 220.

Ian

Old 06-03-2002, 12:37 PM
Clarify

OK, let’s put it this way. Who else tows 5,000# in the mountains above 5000 ft. with a similar truck as mine and has a tranny temp gauge? I am wondering if it will frequently hit 190 but not much more. In other words, is there a barrier that it is harder to go higher than 200? I just don’t want to have to pull over every couple of miles.