Towing & Hauling

Would a 150 or 250 be better for my towing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2001, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would a 150 or 250 be better for my towing?

Hi, I am a total newbie as I don't even have a truck yet. But I love your site and dream about one day being the owner of a F150.
My newbie question is, (and I have looked for the answer) I want a truck for towing. I will be towing a 2500lb-ish canoe trailer along the highway and down some country roads, the journey is pretty flat, about 15 miles each way, and I would be doing it about 3 times each week during the summer.
Now should I get a F150 or a F250?? Is there an engine size I should go for? Do I need a 4x4?
Also I can only afford about $3000, so that limits me to the '88 to '93 F150's which I like the look of anyway.

I look forward to your advice.

Old 12-26-2001, 03:11 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool Welcome.......

If all you are going to tow is a 2500 # trailer, then an F150 will do just fine. But, if you are like most, you'll end up getting a bigger trailer (or boat) at some point, so consider that too. I'd say that you should be fine all the way up to a 5k # trailer and an F150. Sure, it's "rated" to tow more, but it's always best to stay under just a tad for safety sakes.

Good luck in your decision, and make sure you really check out that used rig before buying!! You never know what the previous owner hauled or towed with it.

Old 12-27-2001, 03:47 AM
An F-150 would be perfect for your needs. As to the question of needing 4x4, you'll have to base your decision on the condition of the ramp you will be using.

What I would do is spend a day watching the ramp and seeing if anybody is having problems with launching and retrieving with a 4x2.

My guess would be a 4x2 with limited slip rear end would be more than adequate for your load. A 4x2 would be cheaper to buy, maintain, and operate than a 4x4, so if you can avoid buying a 4x4, you'll be that much further ahead.

Old 12-27-2001, 09:28 AM
Cool Thanks

Thanks guys for the advice. I think I will look for a 2WD F150, cause the ramps are pretty well maintained and flat-ish. At one access point we get the campers to carry the canoes up to the top of the ramp, after seeing a van and trailer get stuck at the bottom :-).

I am really enjoying this site, the forum, the chat and look forward to owning a truck of my own.

I forgot to ask what is a "limited slip rear"? I will be honest I know nothing about trucks. Is it a feature I need to be looking for in a used truck or a modification I can (with help) do later.

Last edited by lonesniper; 12-27-2001 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-01-2002, 12:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The F150 should be good enough for what you plan to tow and the distance as far as what engine all 3 of them will get the job done but I say the 302 would be the best choice as you have more power than the inline six and better mileage than the 351 but all that is up to you and what you can find in your price range of a good used truck.

Quick Reply: Would a 150 or 250 be better for my towing?