Overheating ecoboost when towing - Page 6 - F150online Forums

Go Back  F150online Forums > Special Interest > Towing & Hauling
Overheating ecoboost when towing >

Overheating ecoboost when towing

Towing & Hauling

Overheating ecoboost when towing

Old 07-11-2018, 09:18 AM
Global Moderator &
Thanks, sublime. It sounds like your truck was just about to go into limp mode then. And as soon as you topped the grade, the load on the engine went down and the ECM decided it didn't need to do that. Clearly, it was not an actual overheat, because that won't drop off so quickly.

Someone else posted that the ECM is supposed to enrich the mixture under these conditions which will help things. I wonder if there's an ECM flash that your truck might benefit from?

- Jack

Old 07-16-2018, 10:20 AM
I pulled over horseshoe bend hill last week. Unfortunately the full race radiator didn't really help anything. It cools off really quick but it still went into limp mode. It was in the upper 90's so it was hot. I am at a loss of what to do. I have the new radiator, the new intercooler, I have a larger tranny cooler on order as my transmission has started to heat up recently. I love the power of these trucks but they can't handle the heat. I've been thinking of getting a widsheild washer pump and setting up a sprayer nozzle in front of the radiator to see if that will cool it over the steep grades .

Last edited by basecamp; 07-16-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Get some liquid nitrogen and have it spray at the radiator. That'll cool it.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:12 AM
Global Moderator &
Basecamp, I'll say it again - your truck is NOT overheating. The problem is in the programming of the ECM. It is seeing the high load condition for a prolonged time and is putting the engine into limp mode to force you to reduce that load. Since it's not overheating, bigger radiators, and other cooling methods will not help.

I think you should consult with a dealer you trust and see if there's an ECM flash that would correct this.

- Jack

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overheating ecoboost when towing

Sponsors

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: