Towing & Hauling

upgrade trans cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
upgrade trans cooler?

I have an 2007 5.4 engine that did not have the towing package, but it does have a stock 5 plate trans cooler. Since I plan on towing a 5-6K trailer, is it worthwhile to swap the 5 plate trans cooler for a stock 9 plate cooler (which looks like it will use the existing tubing and connectors), or go to an after market cooler, or just run with the existing cooler?

Thanks

Old 03-25-2013, 07:36 AM
A little more info would help. How long are the tows? City or highway driving. Outside air temp average? Flat land or hill/mountain towing?

The only way I would recommend leaving it alone would be under 10 mile tows in a moderate temperature (under 70 degrees) on flat land. Anything else and a upgraded trans cooler is suggested. Don't bother with a factory cooler unless you just want it to look stock. For the price a larger aftermarket cooler is a usually better bargain.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:55 PM
I will be towing over low and high passes. Most trips will be 2-300 miles, but some much longer trips planned. Temps will generally be 65+. What I have now is a transmission cooler that is stock, but has five plates. When I look up what would appear to be a stock cooler for this year/engine, what I get is a nine plate cooler, such as a DORMAN 918-202. This cooler has a surface area of 114 sq inches, and aftermarket cooler recommended by B&M is a B&M 70266 stacked plate with 112 sq inches. They would be about the same price, but using the Dorman I should be able to use the same mounting location and tubing while the B&M would require more fitting and mounting work. The stock replacement would appear to be cleaner install and less work for the same performance. With this light of a trailer, I don't know if I need a cooler with a fan. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:10 AM
Personally Id keep your current cooler and add one of
these these
in addition guranteed to never have tranny heat problems (run that plus the in radiator cooler on my 1-ton and normally run in the 170 range...and it gets heated up by the radiator cooler vs cooled)

Quick Reply: upgrade trans cooler?