Towing & Hauling

Towing Variance

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2001, 03:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Towing Variance

I am an inexperienced individual when it comes to the issues of towing. On my particular vehicle, it is apparently rated to tow up to 7700#. Now what I want to know is there an allowance for any variance in that figure say if the trailer is a few hundred pounds heavier?

Can you go above the rated figure without damage to vehicle? If you increase your engine capability by installing the Superchip, or putting in a Borla exhaust, or a Generation II K&N intake filter can you thereby increase your towing capacity? What if a particular trailer I am interesting in has a GVWR of 9300#....is there anything I could do to my vehicle modification wise to make it able to tow it without damage?

I await informed answers........

Old 08-19-2001, 09:13 AM
Generally speaking, for safety reasons, you should pull 15% to 20% less weight than the truck is rated for. I would pull no more than 6500lbs, max. You also have to check what the tounge weight is going to be (or pin weight if you're doing a fifth wheel RV). The main thing is that you NEVER exceed the GCWR of the vehicle and trailer combo. I don't have as many details from you as I would like (what are you going to pull, wheelbase of truck, etc), but chances are you are looking at something WAY to big. The extra addons (chips, exhaust, K&N, etc), will allow you to pull your safe load a little better up hills, and general towing performance. They will NOT increase your towing capacity, only performance. The 7700lb rating for the truck is probably generous already, do not exceed it. Actually, if you load the truck up they way you would before towing (people, gear, and a full tank of gas), and take it to a scale and get weighed, you might find you can't even tow 7700lbs. Again, you can't exceed the GCWR. If you need more info, give us the details of your truck, and what you're planning on towing. Whether you can tow something of not is irrelevant. It's what you can tow safely.
And remember, if you're towing, and you get into an accident, your insurnace company WILL weigh your setup. If you are overweight, you are not insured. Guaranteed.

Old 08-19-2001, 10:05 AM
You will not be satisfied with pulling that size trailer with a F-150. Not to mention you will kill the truck or possibly yourself. I am pulling a 6000 lb travel trailer with my SCrew and it does ok. All loaded up with a weeks worth of stuff I came off the scale at 11900 lbs, over by 900 lbs on my GCVW. The number you really want to watch is GCVW as well as being careful not to overload tha axles. In short I am now shopping for a new F-250. Good luck and it is better to be conservative when towing than to push the limits.

John

Old 08-19-2001, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the heads up on towing.........

Quick Reply: Towing Variance