Towing & Hauling

Tranny Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tranny Cooler

Howdy,

Has anyone put an auxilliary transmission cooler on their (non-tow-package) F150?

My HD-Screw was not available with a tow package, and I think the cooler needs to be one of my first mods.

Just wondering about best brands and where to tap into the system.

Thanks
Reid in Houston

Old 08-08-2001, 07:56 PM
Are you sure you don't have one? If you got a 5.4L engine, I'd almost bet money that you have one installed.

Look thru the bottom part of your bumper (might be able to see thru the bottom part of your grill too) and look for the auxiliary coolers. The one on the driver's side is for the power steering. If you have another one on the passenger side, that's for the tranny.

Old 08-10-2001, 12:23 AM
Here's where I got mine,

http://www.oemfordparts.com/partdeta...6&CategoryID=1

It is a plate/fin style. Seems to be of high quality. Looks just like B & M. I'd say they are manufactured by the same company, whoever that is. Cheap at $45. Only problem is the brass fittings didn't fit. required are long threaded inverted flare/hose barb. Supplied were two incorrect sizes. I ended up just cutting (use tubing cutter not hack saw) the steel return tube from the tranny cooler in the rad tank and sliding the hose about 2 inches over then applied double hose clamps. Been running it for 3 months with regular towing of small boat (1500lb) and gear, no problems so far except for initial leak resolved by tightening clamps. Some recommend flaring the tube. I tried this as an experiment on some steel brake line. The flared end was very sharp and I was afraid it would cut the flexible tubing. Also, I think it would have ben very difficult to apply the flex over the flare. It was a very tight fit just on the straight tube.

Side note, I was astonished how much the ambient air is heated up comming through the cooler. Put my hand between rad and cooler after driving for about 20 minutes to see if it was warm.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Tranny Cooler