Towing & Hauling

Just got back from 1st trip with 07' F150 4.6L -Not Impressed with towing

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know what you mean. After you tow with a diesel towing with a gasser just isn't all that exciting. My truck has the 5.4l, Troyers tow tune, AF1 3.5", and Ford racing 4.10 gears and even with all that I'm not that impressed after towing with my buddies '07 2500 for a year. My truck just feels like it has nothing pulling a 20 ft. enclosed car hauler with a honda civic weighing 2200 lbs and gear.

Passing on highway, forget it. Takes forever to accelerate getting on the highway and cannot hold overdrive at all and I get mid 9's mpg. I always stick with the phrase my truck will move the load while my friend's truck will actually tow it.

Anymore I just bring the trailer home because I think the towing sucks so bad. The only good thing about my truck is that if his broke we have a backup otherwise I don't even want to tow with this thing. lol

Old 07-17-2008, 10:40 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Ive averaged 11-13 towing with a load with my 2003 4.6 3.55 and saw about 16 towing empty 18' flat bed trailer

roughly 6000 pounds

empty trailer about 1500 pounds

estimated 4500 pounds

Old 07-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
Well, i'm guessing you never towed with a diesel before. I've been too busy to tell my tale about my first towing experience with my 2008 KR Supercrew about three weeks ago, so here goes.

Our trailer is about 6,000# on average, a 27 foot Jayco Hybrid. I installed VMP's tow tune and couldn't get the load above 45mph. Justin was nice and rewrote the tune which helped a bit, but my overall impression of the F-150 towing has nothing to do with a custom tune as I run the stock tune for towing now.

I knew I was gambling going to an F-150 from my 2007 F-250 smoker, but the company made the decision and I'll live with it. Anyway, after I switched to the stock tune towing our trailer with this F-150, I didn't notice much difference from the VMP tune. Sinve I'm waiting for Troyer tunes, too, and I bought upgrade parts from them, I even called them to ask if I taking a big hit in the power department because of the AF1 and MBRP SIDO I installed. Stupid I know, but I was shocked. There was that much shock over what I used to experience with a diesel. The F-150 rides better with the load, but the "out of the hole" power absolutely stinks. You need a looooooong on-ramp to even access the interstate. Passing? Forget it. I know there is alot of wind drag, but I couldn't believe how powerless the 5.4L actually was. There is no way on this earth I would attempt to even come close to the specified tow ratings Ford posts for this vehicle for safety reasons alone. Don't get me wrong... the ride is nice, but I'm just not used to the hesitation, the upshift/downshift, the lack of low end moving power, and the squishy feel from the F-150's soft suspension.

Now, before some of you get your panties in a wad, I have "adjusted" since my first tow. I leave larger gaps, take more time entering the on ramps, and don't expect to get there as quickly. The truck does pull okay after the load is moving, and will keep up with traffic on the interstate at 62mph just fine. I run with the O/D on until the truck tells me it doesn't like it, or when I anticipate a hill or grade coming. I watch the ScanGuageII, and I average about 195 degrees coolant temp when it's 85 degrees out and the intake air is close to 98 degrees. The transmission temps rarely approach 200 degrees, and usually average about 178 to 180 degrees. All this at about 11-12mpg, too. That says all seems to be working fine. I just needed to make a MAJOR change in my driving style and expectations. Had I never pulled our trailer with a diesel before, I'd have nothing to talk about. I do remember hooking up to the trailer with the diesel for the first time after selling our pop-up. There, too, I noticed a BIG difference even in the diesel's performance - from 3,000# to 6,000#.

For the twelve times a year I tow our flying brick, and the other six times I haul a 3,200# landscape trailer, the F-150 is fine. I'm just not getting all warm and fuzzy over what some seem to think is "an easy tow". Hopefully the 2009's will earn better bragging rights. It's pretty reasonable in my mind that if I pulled more than I do a season and if I kept a truck longer than I do, the wear and tear would undoubtedly begin to show alot sooner than any 3/4 ton. The F-150 works fine for a weekend warrior, but anyone seriously considering towing in the 6k+ weight range on a "more often" basis might consider a larger rig.
I consistently tow about 1,500 to 1,800 more pounds than you (a car on an open trailer loaded down with enough crap to get me through a race weekend) with a an underpowered (2003 5.4),undergeared (3.55's with 285 tires) truck compared to yours. You can tell there is a load back there, but I can cruise at 70 -75 with no problem and it pulls hills much better than what you are describing. I HAD a 24' encosed trialer I pulled with this same truck and had the same issues you are currently having. I do not think most people get the HUGE amount of wind drag on these larger enclosed trailers - whether it be a car hauler or a camper. I will assure you it is not the weight you are having an issue with,it is the wind drag you are experiencing.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by 70BOSS302
I I do not think most people get the HUGE amount of wind drag on these larger enclosed trailers - whether it be a car hauler or a camper. I will assure you it is not the weight you are having an issue with,it is the wind drag you are experiencing.
You are exactly right. It's not the 6,000 lbs you have to overcome it's the freakin wind drag which is HUGE on an enclosed trailer. The guy above your other post with the '03 stating he tows 6,000 lbs and gets 11-13mpg is in the same boat. If he had an enclosed trailer with that setup he would complain his 4.6 doesn't tow it for crap but with an open he's OK.

I've towed this 20 ft. with a small car (2200lbs) + gear equaling around 6k before and I get mid 9's at BEST cruising at 70mph. It's just a brick. And no weight distribution is not hooked up in this pic.

The difference between an open trailer and enclosed is night and day with wind resistance. Pulling an enclosed trailer is like pulling a brick down the road. To me comparing towing with a gasser vs. diesel is like comparning open vs. closed trailer. Night and day differences.

Last edited by JeremyGSU; 07-18-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:05 PM
I tow a car hauler, with a Samurai buggy, big *** BBQ and sometimes a smoker, TONS o' crap, larege amount of wood, plus 1-2 FAT passengers, and I tow it up hills most of you guys wouldn't dare drive your truck ! I have had zero problems getting out to the trails, or towing up long, steep grades. Heck, I'm even consdiering getting a big oel camper to go on the back of my truck. And I'm lifted with larger tires (and 3.73 gearing).

55mph is the speed limit while towing, so I am fine with going 60-65. Any faster, and your just a moron. Towing with OD is also just plain stupid (sorry). Even if you have the "bigger motor and it does just fine" doesn't mean your not over heating (or getting close) the fluid in the trans, degrading the oil and causing extra wear on your parts. Just turn OD off, and be done with it, until no longer towing.

Don't expect this thing to scoot around like a sports car, its a fat *** truck, and your towing. Take it slow and have fun getting there. Sometimes the traveling is just as much fun as the vacation !

Old 07-18-2008, 12:59 PM
I too pull a car hauler with a 4,000 lb car - total weight is 6,000 lbs. I have no trouble cruising at 65. 5.4 with 3.55's. It doesn't compare to my 05 Chevy 3/4 ton when it comes to accelerating from a stop or climbing hills, but I did not expect it too. But overall, it pulls just as well as the 3/4 chevy and rides a heck of a lot better. I get 11-12 mpg vs 7-8 with the 3/4 chevy.

I have driven nothing but Chevy's for 35 years, all gas engines, so no diesel to compare it too. I now am starting to think I should have tried Ford along time ago. (I'm keeping the Chevy car its pullng though)

Old 07-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Suspended
Im with the rest of these guys. 4.6, scab, 4x4 w/3.55's and I have towed about 8k. It is not going to be fast, but then again I was in a huge group all of us towing 7k minimum and we were in no rush. Your going to know something is back there, just pace yourself and take your time.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Suspended
I tow 3,000lbs daily with my 4.6 SCrew, I have no complaints.. Just knotice the power takes a hit with the AC on.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I've pulled 4500 with my v6 F150... but I've got a 5 speed, and 4.10s with stock tires.

It's like there's nothing behind it. I kind of like towing stuff with it...

But it's illegal what I'm doing anyhow. So I need a F250 PS diesel...

Old 07-19-2008, 09:09 AM
fx2 4.6L

I appreciate everyone telling me about the overdrive switch. I have had the truck for 7 months now and this is the first somewhat heavy load that I have towed. Been used to the "Tow/Haul" switch that GM uses in the end of the shifter and never thought of anything else but that being used by other manufacturers. After I went back outside yesterday and looked, There it was! A little back button with "O/D" written on it. I had in fact seen it before and never it never registered as this would be like my old "tow/haul" button. I guess that's what you get if you don't RTFM ! I decided to try out the O/D off setting and it felt like a different truck other than a few more rpms. THANKS!!!

Old 07-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
Well, i'm guessing you never towed with a diesel before. I've been too busy to tell my tale about my first towing experience with my 2008 KR Supercrew about three weeks ago, so here goes.

Our trailer is about 6,000# on average, a 27 foot Jayco Hybrid. I installed VMP's tow tune and couldn't get the load above 45mph. Justin was nice and rewrote the tune which helped a bit, but my overall impression of the F-150 towing has nothing to do with a custom tune as I run the stock tune for towing now.

I knew I was gambling going to an F-150 from my 2007 F-250 smoker, but the company made the decision and I'll live with it. Anyway, after I switched to the stock tune towing our trailer with this F-150, I didn't notice much difference from the VMP tune. Sinve I'm waiting for Troyer tunes, too, and I bought upgrade parts from them, I even called them to ask if I taking a big hit in the power department because of the AF1 and MBRP SIDO I installed. Stupid I know, but I was shocked. There was that much shock over what I used to experience with a diesel. The F-150 rides better with the load, but the "out of the hole" power absolutely stinks. You need a looooooong on-ramp to even access the interstate. Passing? Forget it. I know there is alot of wind drag, but I couldn't believe how powerless the 5.4L actually was. There is no way on this earth I would attempt to even come close to the specified tow ratings Ford posts for this vehicle for safety reasons alone. Don't get me wrong... the ride is nice, but I'm just not used to the hesitation, the upshift/downshift, the lack of low end moving power, and the squishy feel from the F-150's soft suspension.

Now, before some of you get your panties in a wad, I have "adjusted" since my first tow. I leave larger gaps, take more time entering the on ramps, and don't expect to get there as quickly. The truck does pull okay after the load is moving, and will keep up with traffic on the interstate at 62mph just fine. I run with the O/D on until the truck tells me it doesn't like it, or when I anticipate a hill or grade coming. I watch the ScanGuageII, and I average about 195 degrees coolant temp when it's 85 degrees out and the intake air is close to 98 degrees. The transmission temps rarely approach 200 degrees, and usually average about 178 to 180 degrees. All this at about 11-12mpg, too. That says all seems to be working fine. I just needed to make a MAJOR change in my driving style and expectations. Had I never pulled our trailer with a diesel before, I'd have nothing to talk about. I do remember hooking up to the trailer with the diesel for the first time after selling our pop-up. There, too, I noticed a BIG difference even in the diesel's performance - from 3,000# to 6,000#.

For the twelve times a year I tow our flying brick, and the other six times I haul a 3,200# landscape trailer, the F-150 is fine. I'm just not getting all warm and fuzzy over what some seem to think is "an easy tow". Hopefully the 2009's will earn better bragging rights. It's pretty reasonable in my mind that if I pulled more than I do a season and if I kept a truck longer than I do, the wear and tear would undoubtedly begin to show alot sooner than any 3/4 ton. The F-150 works fine for a weekend warrior, but anyone seriously considering towing in the 6k+ weight range on a "more often" basis might consider a larger rig.
For your information, your 20" Rims greatly reduce torque, & towing ability in a SuperCrew Pickup! My truck with 17" Rims, 5.4 3v motor, 3.73 gears, & Tow Package would move your load with ease!.............

Old 07-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
For your information, your 20" Rims greatly reduce torque, & towing ability in a SuperCrew Pickup! My truck with 17" Rims, 5.4 3v motor, 3.73 gears, & Tow Package would move your load with ease!.............
I can tell you this... I seriously considered that the 20's were a source of the problem, plus I added LT tires, which weigh more than the stock Pirelli's. I am sure the rolling resistance alone is the major issue. I never experienced the drag with my 2007 F-150 Screw which had 18's. I'll never do the 20's again, unless the 2009/10 F-150 comes with the small diesel.

I agree wind resistance is a major issue. Don't get me wrong, my F-150 will tow the 6,000# trailer, but the difference from my 2007 diesel was sooooo much different than I expected. I just towed the trailer to the dealer for some warranty work (another major issue), and thought while driving that if I had topull the trailer 12x a year with the way it currently pulls, I could live with it. But, because I put more miles on than average and trade every year, I certainly will make an adjustment next spring. Either I'll go with a Superduty V-10 (if staying gas), or an F-150, which will not have 20's again.

I'm hoping that Troyer will help this thing out like it did my 2007 F-150. VMP's tunes are just having issues with Ford's torque adaptive strategy... in and out of T/C lock. I'm worried that no tuning will overcome this. I'll be emailing Justin Monday to see if he can help out anymore.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:11 PM
f150 4.6l

Do you think an Edge programmer would help out enough to justify the price of it? I know that I don't have a powerhouse stump-puller and never will although any noticeable gain would be nice. Air intake? Headers? Cat Back exhaust? Under-drive pulleys? Electric Fans? Is this $3k worth the increase or do I just trade it for a nice 5.4L truck?

Old 07-22-2008, 09:58 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Almost all aftermarket mods improve throttle response, trans shifting, and peak HP/Torque. You cna spend $1500 on all that stuff to get 5 ft-lbs from 2-3krpm. Don't bother if that is your goal. If you tow in the 2000-3000rpm range, they won't help much with power or fuel economy. Instead of 2nd gear, hit the OD Off button and you should still have decent power and better fuel economy.

BTW, 3.55 are not fuel economy gears. We only have 3.73 which is 5% shorter, not much. 3.08 is FE gearing.

It's too late now, but the 5.4L gets almost the same FE as the 4.6, depending on driver 1mpg worse or the same. It costs about $600 new more for 50hp and 65ft-lbs or torque. There is no reason not to get it in the F-150.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:14 PM
FX4, 3.73's, Tow Package, and a 5.4L

Towed a pop-up in overdrive with no problem @ 70 mph. And averaged 16 mpg over 3,000 miles.

Now the new Travel Trailer is another story. Right around 5,000 of trailer. Requires 3rd gear towing. 65 mph is a practical maximum speed. Averaged 10 mpg over 3,200 miles. But it wasn't always a comfortable tow. Headwinds or mountain grades felt like a struggle. Some 2nd gear 3,500 rpm stuff. And despite the tow package, we twice hit 205 degrees of trans temp (mountain grades) according to my ScanGauge. Yikes! I'm well under the specified towing max of 9,300 and didn't expect to see that. The majority of the time, my trans temp was about 160. I would have thought that I'd never see 200 degrees towing this trailer. (I'm getting a flush and replacement of fluid.)

I'm thinking that I will be looking at the light duty diesel when it becomes available. There is no way I'd ever tow more than 6,000 pounds for any longer distance with this truck. 9,000 pounds? Forget it IMO.

Quick Reply: Just got back from 1st trip with 07' F150 4.6L -Not Impressed with towing