Towing & Hauling

I need pics of installed elec. brake locks for trailers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need pics of installed elec. brake locks for trailers.

Just purchased a TAP engager brakeaway kit for my trailer. Whilst the electrical connectors are a no brainer, I'd LOVE some ideas (really love some pics), of where everyone else is mounting the hardware, etc. etc.

(the directions are kinda vague...........okay REALLY vague about that).

thanks in advance for any/all answers/pics/thoughts.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:35 PM
the directions are kinda vague...........

I agree, but purposely so.

The break-a-way needs to be free from obstructions and have a clear view of the tow vehicle. Most are mounted on the tongue just behind the coupler or on the side of the frame rail next to the coupler. I've only installed a few hundred, but it really depends on the trailer. Sometimes where the trailer wiring exits the trailer will dictate where you can install it too.

Don't be afraid to bend the mounting tab to get a clean stright line to the tow vehicle. The break-a-way key needs to be able to pop free easily or it may break the cable instead of popping the key...I've seen lots of broken cables.

Good luck...I'm sure others will include their opinions or pics...

Old 06-21-2007, 10:23 PM
My Prodigy Break Controller says it will damage it if I use a brake away with it.Did I miss something about having it hooked up or is it just Prodigys Break Controller that you don't have it on.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by WildmanNP
My Prodigy Break Controller says it will damage it if I use a brake away with it. Did I miss something about having it hooked up or is it just Prodigys Break Controller that you don't have it on.
Wha....huh?

A Tekonsha Prodigy will not be damaged if used in conjunction with an emergency break-a-way.

The way a break-a-way works is there is an on board battery mounted on the trailer and when a trailer becomes separated from the tow vehicle a small cable that attaches to the tow vehicle pulls a key from a pressure switch and this in turn activates the trailer brakes for a short period of time.

Usually during this same time the trailer electrical connection(Plug) will come out because it is not strong enough to tow a trailer with, and so the electrical conection being severed with the truck will have no chance to hurt your Prodigy brake controller.

Even if the electrical connection was still intact, you will just get a reading of 12 on your brake controller when the brake-a-way applies 12 volts to the trailer brake system....it will not harm your brake controller.

Please, please use your safety devices and use a break-a-way on all vehicles that have electric brakes. Think of how you would feel if you trailer became removed from the tow vehicle and casued an accident and killed someone. The break-a-way at least stops the trailer from continuing on an undertermined path at speed.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the replies........I kinda figured it out. I think. I mounted the battery/electric stuff close to the trailer itself (away from tongue), and the pull out piece as close as humanly/safely to the tongue. Bummer is, as low as my tongue is, I really have to experiment with the length of the cable so it's not dragging...............fine line between too tight and pulling the plug/engaging the brakes, or dragging on ground. I'll get it figured out tho.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: I need pics of installed elec. brake locks for trailers.