Towing & Hauling

Poll: What trailer do you pull with your F150?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5th wheel for F-150?

Slickford... what mods are you refering to that allow a F-150 to safely tow a decent sized 5th wheel like that one?

Nice rigs by the way.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:34 AM
adt
I been pulling this for 3 years with no problems. I have added some mods of course.
https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=7238

Last edited by adt; 05-30-2006 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:19 PM
Pacificnw,

Actually, none of the mods that I did made the truck able to tow more than the manufacturers specs... I was within all the weights for towing, Overall combined weight, max trailer weight, and cargo carrying capacity, or CCC..

But since you asked... The truck had about 40 more HP than stock, and at least that much in torque, it had a 4.10 rear end, so it had plenty of pulling power. I also had airbags to help stabilize the side to side sway, mostly in high wind conditions and on the freeway. And an electric fan on the stock tranny cooler with a thermostat set at 180 degrees, just in case. It usually only kicked on around town in stop and go traffic. I also upgraded the brake pads and rotors for better stopping power.

I towed at least 1500 miles in the year I had that combination, and I never had a problem.

If you have any questions on towing there are alot of well informed and experienced people on this forum to help you.

Have a good one!

Old 06-02-2006, 10:36 PM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought I was doing well pulling this trailer with my 4.6 untill I saw Slickford's

Old 06-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by Slickford
Pacificnw,

Actually, none of the mods that I did made the truck able to tow more than the manufacturers specs... I was within all the weights for towing, Overall combined weight, max trailer weight, and cargo carrying capacity, or CCC..

But since you asked... The truck had about 40 more HP than stock, and at least that much in torque, it had a 4.10 rear end, so it had plenty of pulling power. I also had airbags to help stabilize the side to side sway, mostly in high wind conditions and on the freeway. And an electric fan on the stock tranny cooler with a thermostat set at 180 degrees, just in case. It usually only kicked on around town in stop and go traffic. I also upgraded the brake pads and rotors for better stopping power.

I towed at least 1500 miles in the year I had that combination, and I never had a problem.

If you have any questions on towing there are alot of well informed and experienced people on this forum to help you.

Have a good one!
There's a lot of great mods out there that can make towing easier on your truck, but a stock F-150 (or F-250) can handle just about whatever the "normal" person can hook behind it. I pull everything under the sun with my truck and it is stock. 168,500 miles with no problems whatsoever. I just wanted to point out that none of these "extra tranny coolers" etc are "required" for towing. Especially if you have good common sense, and don't push your truck too hard. That's not to say that they are good mods.... It just seems like everyone that has a boat or a lawn mower puts a tranny cooler on their truck. I think that a lot of people would really be surprised at what their truck will really do! Ford has it figured out purty good.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:56 PM
WLF,

Looks good! You shouldnt have a problem with that setup. I think the max trailer weight for the 4.6 supercab, with 3.55 rear is 6900 lbs.

You know, its kinda funny. We have been on these boards for about the same amount of time, and I only have 123 some odd posts. I guess I do more reading than posting.

This is why I got rid of the F150:

Old 06-05-2006, 11:00 PM
I tow a 30 ft travel trailer that weighs 5500 lbs loaded and with full LP and fresh (30 gal) water. So far we've gone 4500 miles including 1 round trip over Monteagle, TN. I use a weight distributing hitch with sway control. My Screw towed great even at higher speeds. My only mods are a B & M deep tranny pan and a tranny temp gauge. The important thing is to stay within ALL of the tow ratings: Gross Vehicle, Gross Trailer, Hitch, Gross Axle and Gross COMBINED weight ratings. I'm within 300 lbs of my GCWR and almost 2000 from my trailer rating. Load your trailer and vehicle as if for a trip, including fuel and passengers (or equivilant weight) and go to a scale. It's the only "weigh" to be sure.

The next thing is to maintain your vehicle.
Then, remember to drive carefully.

Quick Reply: Poll: What trailer do you pull with your F150?