Towing & Hauling

Bumper Hitch Limitations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 02:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumper Hitch Limitations?

Hey everyone,

I just bought a boat and motor and the total package should come in around 2,000 lbs or so . . . probably a little under. I have a 97 F-150 EC 4x4 with the 4.6. I notice that my bumper hitch is rated for 5,000lbs max and a max tongue weight of 500lbs. Given the fact that my package will be well within these limits, is it safe to use the regular ole bumper hitch or do they tend to be overrated?

Just wondering if I should bother getting an actual receiver hitch at some point in time or if my current setup will work. Are there any advantages to go with a heavier hitch?

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-25-2005, 06:36 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
You can tow 2,000 off the bumper, no problem.

The downside to towing with the bumper is,
The Ball is where it is and you can't do nothing about it.

For easy towing the trailer should be level.
When the ball is in the bumper, especially a 4x4, it's quite high.

Small lightweight boats tend to have small trailers with smaller wheels, so the trailer tongue is lower than the ball. When you hook up, the trailer is sitting at an angle.
Then when you go down the road the trailer doesn't track well and tends to dance around.

If you already towed with this setup and the performance was acceptable to you, then you're good to go because weight won't be an issue.

I towed 2,000 off the bumper for years without a problem but, that was a little 4x2 Toyota and the Ball was sitting at the right height.

Old 04-25-2005, 07:39 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, a receiver and drop hitch would tow better.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:22 PM
Cool, thanks guys!

I haven't towed the package yet as I'm running off to pick it up this week. I have a rough 7 hour drive to bring it home and I'll do that with the bumper setup and see how she handles.

It was more a case of "will I get it home" . . . LOL I suspect that I'll eventually go with your advice and get the receiver hitch so that everything is riding level and whatnot.

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2005, 11:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another bad point about using the bumper as the location for your ball is that with certain trailers, when you make a sharp turn, you can actually "notch" your bumper with the trailer. With a draw bar type arrangement, you get the ball out behind the truck and don't run into this problem - unless you get really stupid of course.

Old 04-26-2005, 09:49 PM
Ball location

My '98 F150 XLT has the tow package (at least I think it does) but the truck did't come with the receiver. Being that it's a 4x4, any suggestions on what drop I should go for? I was going to pick up the 3 1/2" drop but then I wasn't too certain so I held off. I don't own a trailer yet, but do have access to a variety of differnet ones. Uhauls and boat trailers are in the near future...

Steve
'98 F150 XLT 4x4
'97 Mystique LS
'94 Mustang 5.0 Convertable

Old 04-26-2005, 10:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Steve-
Grab a tape measure to determine how much drop you need. Most typical trailers will have a hitch height of about 18"-20". Unless you have your truck jacked way up high, you won't need a big drop for the hitch.

Old 04-27-2005, 07:08 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
minimustangs,
Check out an adjustable height receiver. I have a Putnam. I also have a Convert-A-Ball for ultimate towing flexability.

Quick Reply: Bumper Hitch Limitations?