Towing & Hauling

F 150 towing 8100 5er

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 06:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F 150 towing 8100 5er

Well first off folks all oppions welcome, with the execption of "get a bigger truck", or other things along the same lines...thanks

Well I currently have a 2003 F 150 super cab lararit. its specs are:
4.6 L with front axle 3,100 and rear 3,200. GVWR is 6050 (odd number to me) my axle code is H9 so thats a 3.55.
factory tow package
When I bought the truck the dealer claimed and gave me paperwork to show that I could tow up 6,800 with my truck. Not sure if it was GVWR of 6800 or GCWR not sure...

I have towed since lets see 17, since I got my CA DL. Driving family owned motorhome riggs which was towing as well so I know I can handle a big rigg.
I currently have a Lynx Prowler 87 23 foot dry weight of 4200 or 5200. the sticker for the weight is unreadable...for the first number.

Now, so everyone knows, I have read as many post with refer to f150's and fifth wheels, but still would like to post and see what is said

Trailer specs
225bhs Prowler fifth wheel
GVWR is 8,100
GDW is 5,950
hitch weight is 1,128
max carrying is 2,148

first of lets make sure I can tow before buy so thats why im here...

I figure since im a single male, and normaly does not have much crap...i could and plan to get a bigger truck in two years.
So I start off with 5,950 plus 335 lbs of water = 6,285 plus add about 400 for food cloths, cookware, fishing tacale and other crap = 6,685. plus 100 lbs of LP = 6,785 lbs. now if im right im taking 19% for hitch weight which is 1290lbs (19% is what the manufacture says they computed).
granted whenever I leave I never fill my tanks with water, maybe 1/4 of the way just in case but never full, and dump my tanks ASAP normaly with in 50 miles from leaving camp. I camp at Twin Lakes if anyone knows where that is.

What do you guys think. Even fully loaded im under 6800lbs. Granted also I know the golded rule is not more then 80% of max (80% is 5,440lbs. Am I right max weight 6800 times 80%??)

I have been thinking bout my 3.55 gears, and was not sure if the dealer (ford) swap out and put 4.10 and if they can, at what cost?

Think thats do able? im guessing my payload is aprox 2100lbs because I had about 2000lbs of DVD wraps in my truck and still was not on my over load leaf springs.

Any feed be would be great.

Also with the factory tow package, im guessing theres a tranny cooler, but think Ill fry it??

Thanks
Kevin

Old 02-18-2005, 12:17 PM
Tommy588,

Man, I say go for it! A 225 is not that long, so you won't have weight and length going against you. The thing that I would be most concerned with is the pin weight. Nearly 1300# over the axle of an F150 is a lot. If your rear springs aren't any better than mine, you will almost certainly need some kind of helper springs, but if you have the 9.75 rear, it can carry the load.

As long as you are going to travel on flat roads, go for it.

I would be willing to bet that the main difference you will see as compared to the trailer you tow now is the added frontal area of the 5er (up high, above the cab of the truck).

I think I would probably put a tranny temp guage on, just to keep an eye on the "weak spot".

My daddy always says "Nothin' beats a good try, but a better failure! Don't be scared to tear it up, just don't blame anyone else when you do!"

Send out some pics of your set-up when you get it all staright. It's so rare, but nice to see an F-150 tied to a 5er.

Sidewinder

Old 02-18-2005, 02:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You should find out what you truck weighs now and how much weight you have on the axles.

My truck has a GVWR of #6250, but a wimpy #3200 rear GAWR......

I tow a #4500 travel trailer and I'm exceeding the trucks GVWR by about #100 or so and right at the rear GAWR........ I'm about #2000 UNDER the trucks GCWR however......

I do have 4x4, so that adds more then a 4x2 would weigh.

Figure the 5th wheel hitch will weigh in at around #200 all by itself. That'll add right into the trucks GVW.

I've also got the 5.4 and the 9.75" rear axle. I know my little trailer is back there that's for sure.... It does tow very well and I'm very satisfied with it's performance. I know it would handle something weighing over #2000 more, but I'd be just that much more over weight on the truck, and it's already got over 138k miles on it!

Your trucks GCWR is probably only going to be around #11000 as well.

Will your truck tow that size of 5th wheel?? Sure it will...... But, you'll be exceeding some weight rating, that's for sure.... Just 'cause Ford states it's "max tow rating" is #6800 does not mean that's what you will be able to tow...... Well, maybe if your truck weighs less then #5000, fully loaded and ready to roll.... Ford says my trucks "max tow rating" is #7700...... Well, as you can see, my trailer weighs #3200 under this, but I've already exceeded one rating and right at another.

I've got aftermarket trans and water temp gauges, LT tires, overload springs and all of that really only makes towing what I have easier....

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 02-18-2005, 06:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 4.6 engine is paired with the 8.8" rear end. Your truck has the same rear end as my '94 Ranger.
Be sure and let us know how far you made it pulling that 5th wheel trailer before you broke down.

Old 02-23-2005, 12:49 AM
I was actually in your shoes a few months ago. I had a 2000 supercab with the 5.4 and flareside bed. I was towing my new fifth wheel which is about 8500lbs loaded.

Of course I had a few mods, chip, filter and exhaust, so the engine did fine, but the F150 lacked in a few areas that you can buy a few aftermarket parts for and the load will feel a little more secure.

You should definetely get a transmission temp gauge. That will show you what you cant see, exactly how fast your tranny heats up towing a heavy load. I went one further and bought a fan kit with the temp gauge that kicked on at 180 degrees F. The fan would turn on after only a few miles of in town stop and go traffic. I bolted that directly on to the transmission cooler that comes with the tow package.

I did go ahead and change my gears from 3.55 to 4.10. The owners manual says it gave my truck a few hundred extra lbs towing and max GVWR.

You should also consider airbags for the rear. They will be a big help in ride height and control. If you keep the air lines seperate, they will give you great stability in high winds or emergency turning, and improve your overall ride. (Less white knuckles.)

This is getting long, but before I go here are a few other things you should consider: better brakes, a good brake controller, and definetely weighing in at a scale, just so you know exactly what weights you are at, not just guessing. It helped me in my decision to go with the F250.

The bottom line is, each little mod you do will help a little. These didnt cost alot either, so if you plan on keeping your truck for a while, these are good things to consider. This was my old setup.

Old 02-24-2005, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Slickford
I was actually in your shoes a few months ago. I had a 2000 supercab with the 5.4 and flareside bed. I was towing my new fifth wheel which is about 8500lbs loaded.

Of course I had a few mods, chip, filter and exhaust, so the engine did fine, but the F150 lacked in a few areas that you can buy a few aftermarket parts for and the load will feel a little more secure.

You should definetely get a transmission temp gauge. That will show you what you cant see, exactly how fast your tranny heats up towing a heavy load. I went one further and bought a fan kit with the temp gauge that kicked on at 180 degrees F. The fan would turn on after only a few miles of in town stop and go traffic. I bolted that directly on to the transmission cooler that comes with the tow package.

I did go ahead and change my gears from 3.55 to 4.10. The owners manual says it gave my truck a few hundred extra lbs towing and max GVWR.

You should also consider airbags for the rear. They will be a big help in ride height and control. If you keep the air lines seperate, they will give you great stability in high winds or emergency turning, and improve your overall ride. (Less white knuckles.)

This is getting long, but before I go here are a few other things you should consider: better brakes, a good brake controller, and definetely weighing in at a scale, just so you know exactly what weights you are at, not just guessing. It helped me in my decision to go with the F250.

The bottom line is, each little mod you do will help a little. These didnt cost alot either, so if you plan on keeping your truck for a while, these are good things to consider. This was my old setup.

Thanks for the info. I love your ride, very nice, and im sure your 250 pulls better and looks nicer (not saying the 150 wasnt nice )
Where did you get your tranny temp gague and the fan kit. I was looking online at stores and cant seem to find anything that I think would work...
What was your cost to go from 3.55 to 4.10? Did you have Ford do it?
I was thinking of adding a leaf spring for rear 1,500lbs load. Which will bring my rear end up and then putting the front on bags...im guessing Air bags would be best for the rear since it worked for you. What do you mean by keep the air lines sperate?

Also do you recomend using the chip, and maybe an air intake.
I dont think I wanna do alot of engine work.

thanks everyone for you feed back.

BTW Mitch your set up looks great too, how do you like the Prowler?

Old 03-09-2005, 11:08 AM
Tommy588, Sorry it took so long to get back to you!

Go to Troyer Performance and get the Derail Fan. They will be able to hook you up with the right fan for your truck. They might also give you info on a good temp guage, I bought mine locally from a place called Sierra Truck and Van.

I got my gears changed in Sacramento at West Coast Differentials, www.differentials.com

As far as air bags, and keeping the lines seperate, you can get a compressor that fills both bags at the same time, to make sure they are both the same pressure. With this setup, air tends to flow back and forth through the air lines to the bags, giving you no side to side stability. Either install the bags with the air valves completely seperate, or get a compressor kit that has seperate lines and controls to each bag.

As far as leaf springs, I have never tried them, but I do know if you install them, you are going to have a stiffer ride 100% of the time. With air bags, you control the air pressure. When you arent towing, you wont have a harsher ride. And I think bags are easier to install.

And finally, engine mods....

The most bang for the buck mods, which most people will agree on this forum, are chip, air filter, and exhaust. I did the trio to my F150, and again to my F250. Adding 50 or more ponies for around $1000.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 03-09-2005, 02:04 PM
Neither Air-lift or Firestone has a kit for that truck when it has a 5th wheel hitch on it. Air-lift has a kit but the leveling capacity is 2000lbs and he said that wasn't enough towing a 6500lb fifth-wheel. I think the guy didn't understand the whole 6500lbs isn't going to be on the springs. Can anybody help?

Old 03-09-2005, 03:30 PM
Hey tommy588,

Thanks for the comment on the rig and the Prowler has been a very trouble free unit.

Over this last winter I've been making some upgrades to the closets and such to take more advantage of all the storage areas that the trailer has.... Only thing I would like is a slide out for a couch, but that just was not in the budget when I picked this model at the time. The front queen bed is very comfortable and the rear bath has lots of room too.

In all reality, we don't spend a whole lotta time inside the trailer while "camping" anyway..... It's just two of us and we find ourselves outside, under the awning or seeing the sites where ever we are. I can sit and watch tv at home if that's all I wanted to do!!

Happy Camping!!

Mitch

Old 03-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Ian2g3, There is an Air Lift kit for F150s with a fifth wheel hitch. Its the "Ride Control" kit, #59542, the one I put in my F150.

Adding air to the bags, essentially raises the bed back to a height of your choosing, the more air, the higher and firmer the rear axle feels.

For example, my fifth wheels hitch weight is roughly 1400lbs, depending on how its loaded. with the air bags inflated to 60psi on both sides, that gave me roughly 700lbs of load control, meaning it raised my bed back up to a point that I would only be carrying 700lbs. And thats easier to control while driving.

Hey Mitch, I agree about camping for the fun of being outdoors and seeing the sights, here is a pic I took last week at Yosemite!

Old 03-09-2005, 06:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tommy588, I think the short answer to your question is either less trailer or more truck. Other than that you will just be adding a lot of expensive hardware to your truck to try and make it do something that exceeds its original design specifications. I bought my 04 FX4 5.4L Scab to tow a 6500# loaded (7700# GVWR) travel trailer and it gets the job done. Good luck with your modifications.

Last edited by kd4crs; 03-09-2005 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:58 PM
Hey Slickford,

Yeah, I really don't miss having a slide 99% of the time.... I'd really like to get out to Yosemite some time!! Right now I'm only doing the local state thing, but plan to venture out when I can get away for more then a week... I would need two weeks minimum for Yosemite!

Mitch

Old 03-09-2005, 10:54 PM
kd4crs brings up a valid point. These aftermarket parts cannot make the truck tow more than the specifications set by Ford. Never try to exceed them, because they are there for a reason. But if you find yourself really close the the max, these parts do help. Its up to you how far you are willing to go.

I took the high road and got the 250.

Mitch, since you cant get out here for a while, heres another pic to hold you over...

Old 04-05-2005, 05:12 AM
Mitch and Slickford! thanks for all ur post and comments! they really help, how ever that does not surpass the other people here too!

well im think im taking the plung and will get a 04 or 05 F250. i want a diesel, but not sure how the V10 is....is there any REAL differance? i mean we all know diesel is to be better in some areas...but hey in Nor cali fule cost is more the gas cost...some $2.30 a gallon!!! but does the extra 5 k for that opption make sence??

I normaly by top of the line but ona F250 ill get XLT...hows the F250 (stock) towing a 5th wheel that size??

Slickford, i mosly head up to Bridgeport area in the summer....have you heard of that place? very nice area there, i have not vetured to Yosemite yet, but wheres a good place to go? how offten do you go?

agian thanks for all ur help

Mitch- a slide always come in handy....but like you said if you wanna be indoors and watch t.v you stay home.

thanks all!

Old 04-05-2005, 01:25 PM
Hey Tommy,

An F250 with the PS will be more then enough...... But, like you say, is it worth the extra $5k???

IMO, it is if you plan to keep the truck for 100k miles..... That's when the engine is just 'broke' in! It does cost more for regular maintenance over a gasser..... More oil and filters can be kinda spendy and a PITA to replace (fuel filter to be exact)....

The other 'issue' is the F250 itself.... The 2005's do have more GVWR then a 2004, but for a couple hundred buck more, you can get an F350 and be done with it..... A 2004 F250 has a GVWR of #8800. A 2004 F350 has a GVWR of #9900. Not a whole lot is 'technically' different between the two. They have the same drive trains, same suspension, but the F350 just has an additional #1100 of payload! On the F250 with the PS, you will weigh in at about #7000 for the most part. That only leaves #1800 for payload....

Like I said, the '05's get more GVWR. Really up to you what series you get.... Either one will do the job. You will just have more 'wiggle room' if you go to the F350 is all..... (wish I had this problem!! )

Good luck!

Mitch

Last edited by MitchF150; 04-05-2005 at 01:40 PM.

Quick Reply: F 150 towing 8100 5er