Towing & Hauling

New wheels for car trailer

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New wheels for car trailer

Well I just picked up a set of 15 inch steel Jeep wheels for FREE. I now have 15 in rims on my open car trailer. I will not get to where my trailer is stored for quite sometime and I was wondering if the rims will fit on my trailer? I know it all depends on the lug spacing but I thought someone out there just might be using the same type of rims. Thanks for your help.
P.S. Where is a good place to get car tralier tires?I need 4 for next year.

Old 12-05-2004, 03:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're correct in stating that it depends on the lug spacing on your trailer axles. Unfortunately no one on this forum has ESP or X-Ray vision in order to 'see' what the lug spacing is on your trailer axles. There are different manufacturers of hubs that use different sizes. My last trailer had 6 lug hubs. The one before that had 5 lug hubs and some wheels off a Suzuki fit it perfectly.

Looks like you're going to have to check it out yourself.

For tires you can use pretty much anything, although an LT or trailer tire will typically carry more weight than a P-metric (car) tire.

Last edited by RockyJSquirrel; 12-05-2004 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:16 PM
Before you put them on your trailer make sure that the wheels are rated high enough in both weight capacity and psi to hold the trailer. Alot of vehicle wheels might be rated high enough on weight, but not high enough on the pressure side to work on a trailer. If you have 5 lug axles you most likely have 3500lb axles on the trailer. Most of the larger axle companies use a 5x4.5" pattern for their 3500 lb axles, which is what the jeep wheels are. You will need tires rated to hold roughly 1800lb and most likely rated to about 60psi, though it can be as high as 80. Make sure your jeep wheels are capable of handling that kind of pressure and weight before you put them on or you're playing with fire. When looking for tires look at both weight capacity and psi ratings, but also look to see what the sidewalls are like. Trailer tires take alot of sidewall abuse and the stiffer the sidewalls the better. I myself have liked Titan tires for trailer, though I've been toying with going to a set of BFG commercial TAs for my next set. I would stay away from bias ply tires as they don't last very long compared to radials.

Old 12-06-2004, 06:38 PM
Powerstroke73 Thanks for your reply it made alot of sense. Do you have any idea how I would go about getting the weight capacity and psi to hold the trailer on those wheels? I was also under the impression that you had to use a bias ply tire rather that a radial tire. Radial tires are OK?

Old 12-07-2004, 10:34 PM
Radials are safe to use IF you get the right kind. Make sure its a minimum of an LT but preferably a purpose built trailer tire. As far as the psi and load alot of times its stamped somewhere on the wheel. Otherwise go to a Jeep dealer and they should be able to look it up.

Quick Reply: New wheels for car trailer